Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any tube fly tyers interested in bulk tubing?

5K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
I have a customer who builds marine guages. The tubing used is the type we use for tying tube flies. I can get all the saltwater grade stuff I want (the large diameter tubing). Come in 3' lengths. But that's not what I'm proposing. What I would like to get is the smaller diameter stuff. I know they would come in 3' lengths. My problem is it has to be bought in like 5,000' amounts at a time, since they would be custom made. I have to give her a sample of the smaller tubing which she'll send to them to get an exact quote. But do believe with the dimensions she gave them from the paper in the packaging of the precut tubes they quoted like $0.35 a foot (I believe). But the minimum order would be like $500 worth of this one size tubing. It would be more then a lifetime supply of tubing. But it would be the small tubing, 3/32" OD tubing. I figured if i could get 5 or so people to go in on it, $80 to a $100 would be cheaper then the full $500 (more then I could ever use).

I'm going to give the sample to my customer on Monday, so she can send it to her supplier and find out the actual cost. But let me know if you'd be interested. They would be cut in 3' lengths. Then you could custom cut down from there. I've used her Large stuff, which is the 1/8" OD stuff. It's exactly like the tubing material you buy in the flyshops.

I'm not in a huge rush. But if you're truly interested, I'd like an idea who would like to buy in. I'll find out how much we'd have to buy, and go from there. I do want to buy quite a bit, since I use alot of it anyways. But the buy in for that much is well more then I'd ever use.

See less See more
#27 ·
Ok, got the quote. It's gonna be 3 cents a foot. Will be cut in 8' lengths. I have to find out how much the cost of shipping will be to my customer. I can cut them down to easier to transport lengths. I'm guestimating it'll rough out to maybe 5 cents a foot maybe. This will be a heavy box coming in. But just need to make sure everyone is on board, and willing to pay. I'll get the exact cost including shipping. She totally forgot about that, so once I hear back will let you know.

#29 ·
Well, I was figuring more of meetup. And a relay for those who aren't nearby. Then those too far away could ship (those wanting the smaller amounts).

#34 ·
Got it Ral. There is only the 3/32 available. I could possibly get the large (aka saltwater) diameter for you guys. Just have to ask her how much. She has it extruded in 3' lengths. Whereas this stuff will come out in 8' lengths.

Will let you know when I get the exact cost overall. Right now it's a guestimate of .05 a foot including shipping to her business. But have to find out exact shipping costs when she gets them.

#42 ·
I think what I'm gonna do is make a new thread for ordering. That way I can get an accurate count. It's still a go for sure. Unless you guys are in a hurry, I'll probably wait until after Christmas. I could try and do it now, but my schedule being a UPS driver is crazy. So tough for me to get anything arranged. I'll probably cut them down to smaller lengths for those I need to ship. If people want it now, I'll see what I can do. But it's still a go.

#51 ·
Yup, still doing it. Gonna start a post in the next week or two. Things still haven't slowed down at work yet. We're still running peak days (flood didn't help). So hoping in about a month I'll place the order. So means I'll be putting up a post with info and buy ins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.