Anybody been fishing South Sound for cuts?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wittouck, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie on the message board and was hoping someone could give me some pointers on where to go for searun cuts in South Sound? I haven't been able to find any current reports and I am itching to hit the salt!

Thanks,

Jon

2. Do a search on South Sound, Beach fishing, Cutts, SRC etc. Then study all of that carefully. There is a ton of good info there in a host of topics and threads and posts.

3. Thanks Bob! I'll do some searching.

4. Until about 2 weeks ago there were still many SRC in estuary areas. Most fish have now followed chum salmon up into spawning areas. However, a few SRC can still be found in the saltchuck. Early/mid-March the SRC fishing should start getting good again on Puget Sound when the chum fry outmigrate.

Resident silver fishing is starting to pick up on the Sound. Have started to target this fisheries over the last couple of weeks and have been getting some fish.

5. Fished Key Peninsula estuaries including the north end of Hood Canal today with O_Mykiss, and let me tell you - it was a slow, slow go. There are some tired old chum around, and a very few that looked spunky - but no biters. We saw a coho or two, too, red ones. Tried lots of likely SRC spots, but just couldn't find any searuns.

By the way, what you've heard about O_Mykiss is true, if you've heard this: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=21783&highlight=mykiss

6. They say there's something like 2,681 miles of shoreline on Puget Sound. Well, as a saltwater neophyte, I can tell you: that's the problem. Where along those 2,681 miles are the fish? Teeg and I checked out a few of those miles on Saturday and came up with bubkas. Lots of chumalums around but they seemed to have nothing but procreation on their minds. We tossed virtually everything we had in our flyboxes at 'em: marabou clousers, bucktail clousers, deceivers, candlefish, chum babies, charlies, krill patterns, even a Miyawaki beach popper for good measure. Not even the sculpins would give us any love. Think I'll follow R. Stephens' advice and wait until March to try for searuns again. Time to hit the rivers for now. Teeg, thanks for showing me around. Despite the lack of catching, the fishing was great!

7. Hey I'm here Brian.

I've been poking around my favorite beaches and have been finding a few searun cutthroat and quite a few small resident silvers.

This time of year, searun fishing on the beach is mostly a zen and contemplateive kind of thing – an enjoyment of the process. The water is clear and cold. The air is crisp and the beaches are virtually deserted. It's a great time to walk and cast in solitude while covering the water. I would suggest fishing one fly and sticking with it. It's not like you are casting to selective fish and need to find the correct pattern, but rather, you are searching. The fish are moving and on the feed. You only need to find them. Any surface fly will work. If there are any fish within 10-15 feet of the popper, they will always show themselves. At least you'll know if there are any fish around. You can't tell with a sunken fly.

I'm wondering if anybody threw any flies at Bush for winter steelhead while the rivers were in spate? It should have been perfect timing.

Leland.