Anybody experienced on Swan lake, Fish lake, Long lake...Ferry County?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by quadradomus, May 26, 2011.

1. quadradomus

quadradomus Member

I'm taking a road trip soon over to the Tonasket area. I have my usual lakes that I like. I was thinking of heading over to a couple of fly lakes in Ferry County, i.e. Swan lake, Long lake, and Fish lake. (Of course not the long lake near Spokane.) Long and Fish lake seem to be connected by a stream, and a few ponds..? according to Google maps. Does anybody have any experience on any of these lakes?

2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Don't waste your time with swan or ferry lakes. Long and fish are both great fisheries. Normally I would say cast a damslefly up tight against the weeds and you would do fine, but with this weather I'm not sure they are active yet. Don't neglect fish lake(yes, they're connected in a way). Three years ago I was camping up that way for Memorial and found Long lake to be too crowded for my taste. I retreated to Fish lake and found the fishing to be amazing, and not one person fished the lake all weekend. I was catching 14-16" rainbows on nearly every cast while I watched herds of other anglers rush by to get to the "good" flyfishing.
    If you do hit Long, and the damsels aren't working, or chrinomids aren't hooking you up, try a brown marabou leech cast into shore along the rocky stretch of shoreline. And I never, ever make an appearance at that lake without a few damsel dry-fly patterns.

3. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

Long Lake was pretty good when I fished it last year. Never made to fish lake. Long has cutties...

4. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

I fished Long Lk maybe 10 years ago. It was June if I remember correctly. I fished it mid-week in the evening and had the place to myself. I did well on small dry flies close to the launch. The fish were on the small side, but eager and very colorful. A nice place.

5. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Member

Another lake I have fished near Tonasket is Forde Lake. Nobody there and lots of brookies. On the small side, but lots of action on dry flies. I like a #16 comparadun.