Anybody fishing the Sky these days?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Alex MacDonald, Jan 15, 2014.

1. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Unicorns are probably easier to swing up then a winter fish out of the Sky this year. Real.Slow

Although the crackheads seem to be returning in good numbers.
    Evan Virnoche likes this.
  2. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +730 / 1
    Simply too damn busy raising cane with WW and a few others... well that and the fact that I'm doing my job and my bosses job at present.
  3. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    If trolling the internet is getting in the way of fishing...... At least the 2nd part of your post is understandable.
    Salmo_g and Jason Rolfe like this.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +516 / 0

Have not been there this year (winter season) but that is sad to hear, it was bad a few years ago but I thought it had improved over past couple of years, at least from my experience. :(
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,622 / 0
    Nobody fishes the Sky these days. It's too crowded.

Sg
  6. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    If u side drift yah
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Stop raising cane to divide. Don't like your lot in life, change it. Fishing must be less important to you right now.
    constructeur likes this.
  8. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    Saw one fish caught at Reiter today. I think there were about 20 guys.
  9. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    Did you fish there or just (observing) scouting?
  10. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +234 / 3
    I was driving back from Leavenworth today and saw someone walking just above the hwy 2 bridge with a fish.
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,622 / 0
    That was a long carry from the Pike Place Market.
  12. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0

I fished there, lots of good nymph water on the opposite bank up and down. I didn't think it'd be such a circus, but it was for sure. It was a mistake to fish there - but once a year I roll the dice and get bored with the usual haunts.
    Porter likes this.
  13. Joepa Joe from PA

I consider myself lucky to have hooked 2 fish in 5 trips on the Sky this winter (High bridge to Sultan float). Both were hooked in the same run in almost the same spot and both got off. I'm almost certain both were wild fish. From talking to other boats on the river, this year has been extremely slow. On two occasions, nobody I spoke with had even hooked a fish - including the guys in sleds. That's pretty unusual. On Saturday, only one boat that I talked to had hooked a fish.
  14. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    I landed one fishing gear between Reiter and high bridge last Thursday. With the water coming down after the big spike last week, conditions were about as perfect as they could have been all season. Didn't see or hear of anything except the one I caught, though. When the fish numbers are so low, it's hard for me to justify taking the time to really swing a run well, so the last couple trips have been run and gun float fishing. That's only my second fish this winter. Although, I've hooked a few nice sized bulls this year, which doesn't usually happen in the Sky for me much. I think I might call the hatchery fish season a wrap and find some solitude, looking for early wild fish above the S river terminal fisheries.
  15. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    Bull trout are the future of swinging flies on the S Rivers. Look for my how to book and DVD series "Taming the Bull" to drop next year. Patented stripping techniques and proper fighting stances along with other highly guarded tech tips will be included. Preorder now for signed copies.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    They'll be talking about Sean Beauchamp in two decades as the pioneer, the authority, the man who opened up this fishery to the every man. It's a bright future indeed.
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  17. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Ed Ward and Scott Howell got nothin on that.