Anybody using a NOR VISE to tie?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Olive bugger, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

After looking at a nice piece of wood and sticker shock, I am rethinking that it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy
    Norm's base. Thinking of ordering his bobbins to try them out first.
    Don't know if I should go with the single bobbin or the kit with the extra spools. That looks like it might be wise.

2. Bugsy

Bugsy Member

You'll need the spool arbor to load your spools. The kit includes that plus three extra spools. Otherwise, the arbor is $10 separately.

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

It'll come to you.

Just talk about tying flies. "I'm too dickfingered to get the junglecock eyes just right." "I dropped the fourth #24 hook in a row onto the carpet...I'm just too dickfingered to get them into the vise."

Or watchmaking. Or mechanic-ing. Or for me, anything requiring rudimentary dexterity beyond the opposible thumb. :)

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Aye, being dickfingered is a real pain when dealing with junglecock

5. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

Media:
    Count me in as one more satisfied customer. I definitely like the spinning feature, and use it all the time to make dubbing brushes. It makes my Spruce flies stronger when the peacock herl is done that way. I also use it to put on dubbing, very easy. I'll never be as good at it as Norm, but I don't tie flies daily. Norm is also a fine human being, in my book.

The bobbins are great, too - why nobody else thought of it first, I don't know. It's definitely possible to use them on any kind of vise, so the suggestion above to try them first is a good one.

6. Olive bugger

So I am not the only one that drops hooks into the carpet. Glad to know that. Can't see 24 hooks. If it gets below 18 hook size, count
    Charlie out.

7. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Except at work. Using the term there would probably get me sent to sensitivity & PC training. Once I retire I will work it in every sentence (at least until the old lady gets pissed off about it).

I've had my Norvise (and most of Norm's other addictive accessories) for some time now. The bobbin system is especially superb. After 50+ years of tying on standard vices (the transition was easier than I expected), I love it, and look forward to winter flytying evenings (the only thing that gets me through winter and no fishing).

I can't speak highly enough of Norvise and Norm's excellent service.

8. Olive bugger

If I can get these stiff old fingers to work at least half way correctly, I might order one of his tools. I am thinking of starting with the bobbins. But being thrify (think cheap) I have so many now. Perhaps I should give some of them to Healing Waters. I do have a problem getting past the idea of rewinding the thread on the bobbins before use. Not a big deal, but a consideration.

I would like to see on of his vises in operation before I decide to buy, but if the fingers won't work, all is in vain.

9. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I just looked on Norm's webpage and his show schedule is up for 2014, I see he'll be in Portland, Charlie.

Even if you're not in the market for a vise, you should see this thing work.

10. Olive bugger

I see that he is going to be in Yakima on Feb. 19/21. May just drive over and see what he has. Give me a chance to wet a line in the Yak also.

Thanks for the heads up.