Anyone ACTUALLY received Scadden power stroke oars?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by CMustang1, May 4, 2013.

1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Again, I'll take them!!!

2. CMustang1

CMustang1 _

I haven't made any decision yet and am still trying to get all of the oar mess lined out.

3. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

He shouldn't accept your money for upgraded oars if he has to wait 6 months to get them in. I'm not 100% sure it is Sawyer. I've dealt with purchasing from them multiple time and as far as I understand they have great customer service!

How long do you let your reputation get tarnished or ruined before you switch suppliers? My guess of what is going on is he is trying to push out so many boats that when any money comes into the shop he has to put it into the producing new boats (overseas) for the next customer that calls. Instead of making the order and paying for the oars that have already been purchased from a customer. He's doing this because he makes way more money on the boats than he does on the oars!

^
    This is a complete guess though. SAWYER is a great company with a great reputation from every drift boat company, raft company, and fly shop that carries any of their gear. So it's hard for me to say that they are the problem!

4. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

I am curious....does Dave Scadden read this forum? Has he ever replied to a post about him or does he have knowledge of what is being said about him?

5. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    I thought I would post a current "Dave Scadden Oar Saga" update as I just went through it myself. For those searching from the future the date is June 2015-

I would first like to say, I'm very happy with the construction and build of my new, full-sized raft style boat that I received from Dave Scadden.

April 1: Order Boat and specifically discuss that I want the power stroke Sawyer oars that are marked up in price to be sold by DS.

Some time in early May: Several large boxes show up over a period of 2 weeks. One box contains shitty Carlisle economy oars. These things flex more that my Redington CT 2wt.

Mid May: Email confirmation that power stroke oars are currently out of production but I will be sent some new model oar with yellow floating blades.

June 1st- 8th: 3 emails and 1 phone call sent regarding my non existent oars with no response.

June 9: Cataract Mini mags oars show up, I guess these will do.

I don't see this business lasting with it's current model of over promising and under delivering.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  6. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Sucks CLO but I have had both and liked the cataract mini mags better. Good luck

7. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    I'm very happy with them. I just wish the buying and shipping process was improved. It's been way too much back and forth with let downs and poor communication.

8. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

9. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I gave up on my oars two years ago

10. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

I don't the critter is attacking that Scadden as much as looking to piss on it.

11. SquatchinSince86

SquatchinSince86 Totally Unprofessional

Media:
    Albums:
    Does anyone have a DS oar they want to give away? 7.5' three piece, that came with the S. Sunrise

12. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

If you know of the track record of a company going in - why complain when they "deliver" (or lackthereof) along the lines of that track record? Isn't insanity defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

13. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    You're right, someone would have to be insane to buy from Dave Scadden and expect their experience to go well. I was merely posting an update to confirm that this customer service issue has not been fixed in the last 2 years.

14. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

So how much money did you pay for these Cataract mini mags from NFO over just buying them yourself? I know the Sawyer SST oars cost more than the Mini mags and the Power Stroke oars are just rebadged SST oars

15. Jim Wheeler

Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Home Page:
    This is great. Bruce Bergstrom, the previous long time owner of Sawyer and I actually designed that oar along with a new blade design "Gig Oar" both made by Sawyer. Bruce and I went through 5 different shaft lay-ups and 3 different blade designs to come up with the final flex I liked. Carbon is a nice material and it's a great in certain places and oh can you "sell" the crap out of the word "carbon." But in a small diameter oar wrapped on a shaft not a mandrel you want to back off on the stiffness and increase the strength and flex which is what we were striving for. What we found was that Kevlar (brand name) or aramid fiber worked far better at giving you some flex in the oar. In reality it would flex at the start of the stroke, storing the energy and then return it back to you during the last half of the stroke. And yes, you felt it. So, as much as "carbon fiber" sounds really cool (and it is when you use it right) I'm not much of a fan in oar design. Sawyer has gone through changes in philosophy and business practices since the sale a couple years ago that I can no longer support, as well as their current lawsuits that have been mentioned here. As for price? We sold the oar for $260 rope wrapped, stopped with an aluminum Mini Cobra oarlock, also designed by Bruce and I. As for Scadden? Never met the man or bought anything from him but the stories all seem about the same.

16. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    Received my warranty replacement within 2 weeks from Dave. Guess I'm just lucky

17. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Well I would say that is a perk by being sponsored by Scadden and getting mad mass quantities of pro deals. You should expect nothing less for a Guide of your stature.

golfman44 likes this.
  18. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    This thread makes me regret not owning my own business. Apparently it's easier than I assumed.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  19. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know someone with a rarely used Scadden Outlaw X5 that hopefully will get replaced. We were on the Cowlitz this weekend and BOTH black end caps lost their seals. You could literally hear the hissing and watch that section of tube deflate. Luckily I keep Gorilla tape in my boat emergency kit. Taped it up and kept air leak to a minimum until we got him off the river. Mind you he never heard of Scadden when he bought boat. He's been deployed so much and in recurring training that he's only had boat on water 3 times. I told him to email Scadden once he got home. We'll see how it goes.

20. Jim Wheeler

Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Home Page:
    All I can suggest you to do to find out who's telling the truth (I have no axe to grind with anyone) is look for news stories on Sawyer and litigation. It's ugly and it will take some time for them to get through I think 4 different lawsuits. They're pretty busy with that right now I've heard.

Jim Wheeler
    Spring Creek Prams