Anyone baking their own bread?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Oct 12, 2010.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

LOVED TO MAKE/BAKE bread; 'French' always totally escaped me. Kiddlits had a 'bake list,' excluding cookies, to choose from.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I'm glad Ive did the time warp and dredged up this thread. I've got two things to contribute.

- The rustic bread style baked in a hot dutch oven is one worth looking up and making.
    - The Kitchen Aide stand mixer is THE classic piece of American industrial design.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  3. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I bake bread in Dutch ovens, as well as conventional ovens.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I cook for hunting camps in the back country, I bake 4 loaves each day, plus biscuits etc Transporting store bread on the backs of mules for 23 miles doesn't work very well, so we don't do that.
    I don't own a bread maker, but I do have a kitchen aid but don't use it for bread.
    I buy wheat berries and grind them with a Magic Mill. You cannot believe how much better your bread will be even if you just use the unsifted stone ground flour for 1/5th or 1/4th of your recipe.
    I have a mature sour dough starter that I've carried with me, even in the backcountry.
    Whenever I'm invited to someone's house for dinner and I ask what I can bring, what do you think they say? Bread.

A few things I've learned over the years:
    1. Yeast does not like aluminum. If you are having problems with your sponge or dough, make certain it's not standing in an aluminum bowl. I use stainless, but plastic, glass, or cast will work just fine too.
    2. If you store your yeast in the frig, measure out how much you will need in a small bowl and let it come up to near room temp before putting it in the warm water.
    3. Don't put yeast into water, milk, etc that is warmer than 115 deg F. It will kill it. Putting yeast in 100-115 deg liquid will get it working fast, just don't exceed 115.
    4. I keep my starter in a 1 gallon glass jar and cover it with a paper towel held down with a rubber band. This allows the spores to attract others in the air, but keeps out critters like fruit flies.
    5. Don't neglect your starter. Use and feed it every 7 days even if you have to just dump a cup out and replenish it.
    6. Humidity, change of flour, etc will change how much flour goes into your bread. The best way is just to knead it until the texture is right - not sticky, but not flakey.

There are lots of bread recipes out there on the web, but you'll likely find the ones you put together on your own turn into your favorites. Try getting used mash from your local micro brewery, other grains like oats, and substitute honey, molasses, etc for sugar.

This is a great bread making tool.

This type of pan is pretty handy if you want a crustier bread. It has holes in the bottom. This is the unrisen dough.

[​IMG]

And it yields this Ciabatta bread.

[​IMG]

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I need to make a new sourdough starter. That'll be my next thing when we get some nicer weather. Had a great start, unfortunately forgot to pull some aside last time I used it, so gotta start from scratch again. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know better. Sometimes you just don't think straight at 0 dark 30. ;) Especially after a long night at the campfire enjoying drinks. LOL

5. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

We received a bread machine about two years ago and bake some type of bread almost daily. My favorite hands down is sour dough

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I haven't baked bread, but you guys will be to blame when I now start here next month. My mother used to quite often. Gees, it's too good. In the meantime, if you're like me and you buy store bread, I found "Daves Bread" the best "on the shelf" bread. Winco sells it for $3.88 a loaf. So, if you're not baking, give it a try!

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Larry, I'm glad to hear you are going to give it a try. It doesn't get much simpler than baking bread. Just remember the best breadmakers are on the end of your arms-don't go down that breadmaker road. I was surprised to hear that bread is selling for $3.88 a loaf. We haven't bought bread in over 10 years and it seems really good bread was about $2.50 back then.

A good bread flour like Bob's Red Mill unbleached or King Arthur bread flour is selling for about $3.78 right now and a 5# bag makes about 5 loaves. Yeast is bought in bulk from Costco or Winnco and with about a teaspoon and a half per loaf the cost is negligible. The only other ingrediants are salt and water, again at negligible cost. You can bake two loaves at a time so the total cost per loaf including electricity is probably well under a dollar per loaf. Look at the ingrediants on a commercial loaf of bread and you will probably need a degree in chemistry to figure out what the hell all is in there. Your bread will be better and all the ingrediants are recognizable and first rate.

Bread freezes just beautifully but cannot be refrigerated. So you can bake up several loaves at a time and keep them fresh until needed. Several of us are baking so if you have any questions about getting started drop us a line. We can shorten the learning curve considerably and insure that your initial efforts are a big success.

Knead on my man, Ive

dryflylarry likes this.
  8. sourdoughsmitty

sourdoughsmitty Member

Media:
    good read on the bread .As an unwilling displaced sourdoug bus rat I set my sponge next morning mix and knead like crazy an put it straigt away into a pan to rise no double raising it makes a real heavy dense loaf 1piece equal to 3 store bought , if the starter gets a little slow I use a splash of unpasteurized vinegar to liven it up if the starter gets a bit too strong then a pinch of baking soa oes the trick an I use only unbleached flour now I'm hungry time to make a batch mmmmm smitty

9. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

I'm fairly new to baking bread: but I wouldn't even bother to try if I didn't have a dutch oven. I make two or three loaves of no knead bread a week in my camp oven in my home kitchen. For some reason, I can't make enough...... :)

10. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Thanks for the inspiration. I will be starting today!

11. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
  12. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Here’s a recipe for Focaccia Bread that I make in my Dutch oven
    2 Cups warm water
    1 tablespoon yeast
    ¼ cup olive oil
    6 cups flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 cup yellow onion finely diced
    1 to 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
    ¼ cup olive oil with 3 to 4 cloves of garlic in it
    Combine water and yeast. Add the olive oil, flour, salt and sugar to the water and combine. Knead in the onion and rosemary. Spread the dough in a greased Dutch oven and let proof.
    Brush top of dough with some of the olive-oil garlic mixture. Bake in a 12-inch Dutch oven with 8 to 10 coals underneath and 14 to 16 on top for 35 to 45 minutes (it will take longer if you start with a cold oven, I recommend preheating). During the last 5 minutes of baking, brush the top of the load with more of the olive oil garlic mixture.
    Bread should be golden brown and give a hollow sound when thumped. Remove bread from the oven and serve with butter, garlic butter, roasted garlic or olive oil garlic mixture.

GBeeman

13. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

These were sure good tonight and you don't even need an oven:

Homemade English muffins:

18 muffins (approximately)
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    1/4 cup melted butter
    6 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1/3 whole wheat 2/3 white)
    1 teaspoon salt
    Directions

1. Warm the milk to room temperature or a little warmer and add half the sugar and the salt, In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and the other half of the sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, butter and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually add the rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
    3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or what ever you have. Sprinkle cornmeal on the surface you plan to raise them on and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
    4. Heat a lightly greased fry pan or ??? Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. If the temperature is right they should just slightly brown, Always eat one while it’s hot. A little butter and jam will really get it going. Allow to cool completely if you plan to put them in plastic bags.

Ken

14. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    GBeeman, thanks for that recipe. I'll give that a try.

Question: No first rising, correct?

Trapper

15. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Correct.

GBeeman

16. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Growing up, my best friends mother made bread 3 or more days a week. Tim and his brother and I would go through the first loaf in minutes. It was a honey wheat and the best bread I ever tasted. I've lusted after "Betty Lou Bread" ever since.
    I used to make bread by hand, and will agree it is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. I still have the giant yellow bread bowl but don't have the time anymore, even though I cook every day. I shun many kitchen gadgets but about 14 years ago picked up a bread machine (a Zojirushi if you care). Almost immediately I found a honey wheat recipe and guess what, almost identical in taste as Betty Lou's. It's all I make and takes me 5 minutes to fire up a loaf and go on about my business. Four hours later, fresh bread that my family (& friends) rave over. Made a loaf this morning before the commute, so the girls could have fresh warm bread for lunch. I'm a convert.

17. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Trapper, where did you get the baking trays for the ciabatta bread? I pretty much got the french bread wired this winter and would like to try some ciabatta for a change. Being such a soft dough that tray seems like it would be ideal.

Ive

18. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    I bought mine in a specialty shop in nearby Helena, MT. They are called perforated French bread pans.

I did a search and found them on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metal...r_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1366293922&sr=1-3

Trapper

19. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Thanks Trapper, That will make a fine addition to the chuckwagon here at the Rockin' K Ranch.

Ive

20. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I used to make Italian bread that I learned from my mom as well as clasic white and wheat bread for sandwiches until I went gluten-free for health reasons. I searched ofr almost a year to find a decent GF store bought or home made bread until I found one. Manini's Miracolo flour mix. Super easy recipe to follow and makes a bread that is closer in taste and texture to a good rustic bread than any other GF I've tried. I'm making 2-3 loaves per week now.