Anyone been to B.C. lately?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by LJ, Jun 4, 2008.

1. LJ Low Tech Lo

Bellevue
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I'm headed up to the Merritt/Kamloops area week after next and wonder if anyone's been up there lately. Will fish at Corbett for a day or two and then perhaps the Kane Lakes or Roche Lake area. If you've got a favorite lake to suggest or recent reports, would love to hear from you. Thanks!
    Lois
  2. Chironomid Guy New Member

Laurier, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    hmmmmmmmmmm how to give advice without giving up too much............ roflmao. Most, if not all the lakes in the corbett lk/kamloops area are fishing very well. If you want specifics........... PM would be your best bet....

Cheers
  3. Donald Johnson cuttman

Seaview WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Fished Roche last week. Perfect weather, excellent chironomid fishing.
  4. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Try an undyed Carey Special behind an Intermediate sink line. I C&R'd the largest trout of my life at Corbett Lake. That was a year or two ago. I spotted a rise and made a good cast to it. That was a slow day for eveyone on the lake, but size made up for numbers. I think it was about this time of the year.

Tight Lines!
    --Dave E.
  5. 509 New Member

WENATCHEE, WA
    You should have been there last week.

With the cool weather you might be ok.
  6. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    Roche fished well last week. Fawn was good last Saturday. Pass is crowded but only because it's been good since the heat wave...
  7. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I'm heading up this weekend for 4 days...I will say this..bring at least a 5wt with you..I used my 4wt on a few lakes that were known for 3-5lb fish...My rod was bent over double in the water and my reel screaming...thought i'd hooked a 25" + fish...19" 2-3lbs all day like that..

Fished our Pass lake yesterday, hooked into about an 18" bow and a 15" brown for 3 hours of fishing...both on chironies..nothing EVER hits my line while trolling...I thought both were going to be dinkers as they didn't even pop my indicator off..(Had to reach up for it which aint' fun) Was surprised by their size when netted...

So be prepared, those fish fight like mothers for the most part!!!
  8. nwpacker New Member

Wetside, WA
    Was up there last week and among other stops fished Englishman in the Kane Lakes area. Small piece of water with small fish. Typcial good chironomid action by mid day when the hatch kicked in on the drops. Fished Corbett a couple of weeks ago on one of a couple of annual trips there. Always a good lake for chironomids, mayflys, damsels and others, depending on when you're there. There are some absolute pigs in there. Our group has lost more rods in that lake from sleeping at the switch and getting our gear ripped before our eyes by some big drivebys. If you're trolling have your rod in hand and if you're fishing chironomids under an indicator don't doze off without securing your rod. It's a quick and familar sound; scraaaaape, splash and oh shit! Weather is suppose to improve by end of this week and you should hit it just right. I will be driving by Corbett on Wednesday on my way to another lake through that area. Good luck.
  9. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +214 / 2
    Frick me how I sure do miss BC.

You guys are killing me.
  10. Chironomid Guy New Member

Laurier, Wa
    Indead. I love fishing in BC..

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I'll be fishing some of the local lakes in BC this weekend. Chironny's, dragons & damsels work well this time of season. Although the spring has really been cool/cold. The weather is supposed to warm up today, continuing until next week.

Cheers
  11. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    My God! That fish is huge!
  12. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    That brookie looks like it may have come out of Edith Lake ?
  13. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    All I have to say is WOW! Beautiful fish! I am going to BC in August on my honeymoon. I know I won't be able to fish everyday, but we are hoping to be there for a month, so I hope to get quite a few days in. I am planning on doing a post of my own, but I can't help but ask a few questions here. Does anyone have any tips, flies/techniques for August? I will take the recomendations of the lakes here too, but if anyone wants to pm me with others I will be most greatful! :) Thanks a bunch!
  14. Chironomid Guy New Member

Laurier, Wa
    Brookie is out of Jewel Lake BC. The Rainbow trout is out of one of kootenay area lakes. Both were caught last year
  15. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Hmmm , Jewel Lake . Never fished it , but I will this year . The ex lives in Greenwood , and I go there for visits a few times every year .

FWIW , the BC record rainbow came out of Jewel . A pig of a little over 51 lbs . Yikes .
  16. Chironomid Guy New Member

Laurier, Wa
    Brain........... you are very correct on that one. I will be there over this weekend, doing my best to beat up some bows. Cheers
  17. candr Daryl

Ratings: +26 / 0
    I did my five lakes in five days trip out of Merritt, BC - May 30 through June 3. I stayed in Merritt each night and hit a new lake each day. I try to fish only lakes with favorable regs (candr, flyfishing only, slot limits etc - usually called "quality waters" in bc). Didn't catch a whole lot of fish, but the quality of the fish caught was good (I guess that's why they are called quality lakes).

First day, drive to Merritt and checked into the motel. Headed out for a little evening fishing at a lake 10 min from town. Known to be a moody lake with big fish, didn't catch anything.

Second day, fished a smaller lake with large fish. Huge chironomid hatch from 10-2. Large chironomids (#10-#12's) Most fish were cruising in about 8-10 feet of water (up on the shoal - see pic), but the main appeared to be coming off in about 24 feet of water. Couldn't figure this lake out and thus I didn't catch anything, but saw lots of cruising fish over 5lbs. Definitely on my list for a return trip - maybe in the fall.

Third day, fished a lake in the Roche chain. Lots of fish to about 18 inches caught on chironomids. Wind laid down about 2pm and I had great action on the dry fly (a raccoon) in flat calm conditions. The pics of the throat samples are from fish out of this lake. The one with all of the blood worms was from an early morning fish, the one with the #12 chironomids is from an afternoon fish. All the fish were stuffed with chironomids. I also caught lots on a ruby headed black/red leech under an indicator. No really large fish caught, although I know this lake has them.

Day four, fished another "quality lake" within an hour of Merritt. Rained all day and the chironomid hatch was sporadic at best. Picked up one fish in about 20 feet of water on a #14 copper chironomid. The fish hit just I was beginning a slow retrieve using the hang down below the boat. Fish immediately went airborne three times which drew the attention of the loon that had been watching me all day. He cruised under the fish (and my boat) just as I was going for the net, but the fish was too big and he turned away. I ended up landing the fish, well over 20 inches.

Day five, fished the morning at a local flyfishing only lake rumored to have some really big fish. Got on the water about 9am. A guy coming off the water who had fished the early morning said he landed a 10lber that morning on an #14 olive chironomid. I fished chironomids in 12 feet of water and caught three fish before noon, all over 20 inches. All of the fish took the fly hard and ended up doing cartwheels across the lake before coming to the net. Lots of fun. I loaded up and headed back to Seattle about 1pm. Would have stayed longer at this lake, but committments in Seattle made me get on the road early.

All the lakes I fished were below 3K in elevation and well past turnover. In all the lakes, the fish were full of chironomids. In the lake on day five, a couple fish had a few callibaetis nymphs (#12 - light olive) in addition to the chironomids (this was the lowest elevation lake). Water temp at all the lakes was between 50 -54 degrees.
  18. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +214 / 2
    C&R,

Great report, great pictures, nice boat, and good looking water.
  19. Chironomid Guy New Member

Laurier, Wa
    Nice report...... I fished Jewel Lake all weekend. Slayed em on a size 18 chromie and green chironny's.. Weather was awesome.