Anyone been to Pass Lake?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by PeteM, Oct 4, 2013.

1. PeteM

PeteM Member

I was thinking of heading up there on Saturday or Sunday. How is the algae and the fishing? With the colder temps starting, I was wondering if the cruisers are starting to hit the shallows.

Pete

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Haven't fished it since June but it should start to turn on with the cooler day and nightime temps.
    I plan on squeezing in a trip or two next month between coho and chum trips to throw some minnow patterns into the sidelines.
    SF

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Tomorrow would be a very good day to go up. The algae won't hurt anything. I'd look for some nice ones to come in shallow and you'll see a lot of food in there, especially toward evening. Also pay attention to the space a little out and a little down, the stuff you can't see. Sometimes they'll roll all over those minnows in the weeds while they ignore your fly...but put it down, about where you're sitting, and you can often click away at them one after the other. That's been working well lately. And a lot of them will hang out down there, just out from shore, while they wait for the witching hour to move in high and tight. Wish I were going.

4. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Hey Tim,

Just noticed the post. I am able to squeak out in the morning for a few hours. My plan was to fish with the sun coming up in the shallows and then move out a little like we normally do. I just cannot stay late or I certainly would.

Jamie

5. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Heard its a good place to catch a bald eagle.

triploidjunkie and Cole L like this.
  6. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Got to Pass at 2:00 today. I had to work hard all afternoon for just four bites and two to the net. A couple weeks ago the mid-lake cruisers really liked my doc spratley sinking line presentation but today, not so much. Tried the far shoal, the big rocks, deep, shallow, and couldn't get it dialed in...

...so to make myself feel better, I hit the near shoal at sundown and pulled a feisty rainbow every 3 or 4 casts for the next hour. The winning combo: cast to the edge of the minnow action, let it sink 5 feet, then retrieve with a series of short, quick tugs. They weren't impressed by a realistic white/brown bunny minnow (with eyes and everything!) but they loved a black bunny leech with a little tuft of green marabou on its head.

I stopped counting at some point, but the final total was definitely more than 10 and probably less than 20. All rainbows around 14".

7. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

Nice!
    About time to take my pontoon boat out from under its cover and get up there...
    Thanks for the report!