Anyone catch one of these, is this your fly, purple starfish, clams? Beach report...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by formerguide, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    So does anyone know the name of the large clams found in the Puget Sound I believe? It kind of sounds like "duckie" or something like that. They plant them there and thet grow for 2-3 years before there ready. You find them like you find what we call "steamers" by waiting until low tide and jumping up and down, which makes them squirt. I was close. I just looked it up and it is called a Geoduck clam and here's a link to them. These are the largest damn clams I have ever saw and you only eat the neck, whereas, the steamers we get in Massachusetts up too Maine are small and we eat the whole thing, neckk and belly. That is why they need to be washed and soaked over night.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/geoduck/
  2. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    The fly looks similar to a Clouser Minnow
  3. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    And for you "furriners", it's pronounced "gooey-duck" and not "gee-oh-duck"!

Reminds me of a time, years ago, when I was still managing Pt. Defiance Boathouse Marina in Tacoma. My BIL had a new-hire from Cali who was an avid fisherman/hunter but not familiar with the PNW. The BIL sent him down to the marina in order to buy his hunting license and bird stamp for geoducks!!! My staffer who was helping him about bust a gut when this guy asked about hunting geoducks! When told this story, the image that cropped up in my demented mind was of a large "flock" of geoducks (with imagined wings) taking flight in the early morning light! :D:eek::D
    Nick Clayton likes this.