Anyone do bamboo?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Shane Stewart, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Shane Stewart Friend of Wild Fish

Hillsboro, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I got the bug :eek:
    Here is a new rod that was built by Mike Hoffman from Tualatin, Oregon. It's a Dickerson 8013 taper 8 foot and throws a 5 weight
    The other Hoffman rod (with reel attached) is a Payne 100 taper 7'6" and throws a 4 weight

Attached Files:

2. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    Beautiful.
    It looks like either you or Mike is a fan of Bellinger components.
    If I ever get around to building cane rods, I would make the same choices.
    Did he use their ferrules also?

TC
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Nice color choice for the translucent wraps over the blonde cane. I had a couple of Mike Brooks' rods (he's from Eugene) with a similar Bellinger seat but blued instead.

K
  4. 2 Much Fishin New Member

Woodinville
    Very good looking rod!

I was recently bit by the bamboo bug as well. The first time I cast a bamboo rod, it surprised me how much fun and how well they cast. It also surprised me that you can buy a fishable work of art that is 60 years old for less money than some modern graphite rods. Fishing with something like that really makes me think about all of the people that have fished my rod in the past and the current events of their day.

If you want to protect fine tippets and cast with super delicate presentations, bamboo does that well. And when you hook a fish, it is a feeling that cannot be replicated with graphite!

Jed
  5. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Ahhhh, the stuff that dreams are made of! my dreams anyway.

A beautiful pair of rods to be sure, one day soon I'm gonna get me one of those boo rods.

LB
  6. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    simply beautiful instruments, kudo's !!!!
  7. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Jed's point is well-taken. Despite the common misconception that bamboo rods are delicate and easily broken, nothing could be more wrong. He and I both fish with exquisite cane rods that are pushing 60 years old. And with reasonable care, they'll last another 60 years.

In truth we're not consumers of these beautiful fishing tools so much as their caretakers and custodians. Our responsibility is to treat them with respect and dignity and then to pass them along to future generations of appreciating owners who will in turn wonder about the fish we caught with them.

K
  8. Canedawg Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I love bamboo. I have 3 Wright Mcgill Granger rods,and a Phillipson. They are med fast action rods. The great thing about bamboo is you can feel the rod load on the backcast. It is an something I could not feel with graphite. I have also recently got into Glass rods. I have two 5# Phillipson 8 footer that are very powerful rods. I rarely fish graphite and do not miss it a t all. Like Kent said ,it is awesome to be able to fish a beautiful rod that has power history,and asthetics,and pay less then new graphites. Not mention the bamboo rods hold their value. :ray1:
  9. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Except for when throwing the big nymphs ( which was most of time unfortunatly) I used my cane rods ( 4,6,7 wts in Montana and Idaho all spring. They performed great . It's like they cast themselves rather than you providing all the action,direction and speed.IMO, they simply roll the line out there like no other rod ever made. My W&M 8 1/2' 9 wt is now refinished and I hope to use it this winter if I get my legs back. I just got to go get it.LOL
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Not sure I agree with that last part though. While *some* graphites cost more than cane rods, the vast majority do not. The process of building a graphite rod is far simpler and more adaptable to mass production than that of building a bamboo rod. As a result, the market is flooded with inexpensive graphite rods.

At the same time the market for bamboo rods has heated up considerably over the past several years. Average to low-end cane rods that could be found for $50 to $100 in 1995 now fetch $300 to $500. Good quality vintage rods from Granger, Orvis, and Phillipson in good condition easily cost as much as a Sage TCR, sometimes far more depending on their condition and scarcity. I watched a 1950s Granger Special with the grip still wrapped in its original plastic sell on eBay for $1700. Rare high-end rods like Dickersons and Paynes now sell for as much as some new cars.

K
  11. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    While the above statement is definately true, there is another side to the coin that is often over looked by people not familiar with bamboo.
    That is power.
    Beginning last summer, I have been using an 8 1/2ft, 8wt Orvis for summer steelheading. Loaded with a 7wt long belly floating line this rod can easily (and I mean easily) push out 80+ ft with less effort than most graphite. In the hands of a better caster, it would cast the whole line with no problem.
    Long mends? Easy. Power to subdue heavy fish quickly? Absolutely. Sink tips? Like a rocket launcher.
    At the same time, it retains the feeling of grace and sensitivity inherent in bamboo.
    There are many cane rods that can do this.

TC
  12. raincityrod Guest

Not to change the subject (much) if anyone has a 4wt. bamboo rod (beloved) they are contemplating moving on to the next steward. I would like to talk to you, especially if you live in the Seattle area. Thank's Rod
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Fishing bamboo allows one the perspective of viewing our sport over the long haul instead of just the recent past. For example, until the mid-1970s if you bought a trout rod, bamboo or fiberglass, it was most likely a 6wt, with only the occasional 5wt Granger providing the 'light line' alternative. 4wts were unheard of and 3wts undreamed of. So if you're in the market for a 4wt, it'll most likely have to be a relatively new rod and most likely well under 8' in length. If you're in the market for a vintage rod, especially one 8' or longer, it'll most likely end up being a 6wt.

K
  14. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Regarding prices.

Dunsmuir Rod Company rods start at around $1500. Not sure on other "new" cane rods.
  15. 2 Much Fishin New Member

Woodinville
    I am relatively new to bamboo, but for the last 6 months I have been following the prices closely and just like anything else, you can spend as much or as little as you would like. For current rod-makers $1500 is right in the middle of the range and for vintage rods, you can pick up a production rod in good shape for under $500. You can also easily spend thousands & thousands on some vintage rods.
  16. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,627 / 0
    I've got a few split cane rods, including two I made myself. Most of mine are lower end rods, like South Bend and Granger. I do have an Orvis Shooting Star and a 9 1/2' E.C. Powell. And as of a couple weeks ago, I've added to my Peter McVey collection, so I've got them in 5, 6, and 7 wt. I really love those, and Peter's workmanship is equivalent to Winston and T&T. My daughters will like inheriting those some day.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  17. Canedawg Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Kent,you are right about the higher end rods, but you can still get great deals on the 8'.6" to 9' rods. They can be had for anywhere from $275 to $475,although you will pay much more for rods that are 8' or shorter. Having gone through the flyfishing catalogs, I was surprised how expensive name graphite rods have become.

Of course if you order a rod from a modern builder you will pay more,but one does not need to spend that much to get a quality bamboo fly rod. I have seen some excellent Granger rods for around $400. I think they are one of the best deals on the market,and are better fishing tools then any graphite rod that is out there. Also, Phillipson Bamboo fly rods are excellent rods ,and are still very affordable.

I guess it all comes down to the type of fishing you do. If you fish with short rods ( 8' or less) you will pay quite a bit more. However,if you use longer rods (8'.6" or longer) then there are plenty of excellent bamboo rods that are more affordable then the top end graphites.
  18. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    You're absolutely right about the longer rods being less in demand than shorter ones. What seems to drive that process is the large number of anglers from the midwest and east who generally target smaller fish on smaller streams. Because of that, a 7-1/2' rod will always fetch more than the same rod in 8', which will cost more than an otherwise identical 9' version.

For example, I picked up (almost stole!) a nearly-mint W&M Granger Special 9' 3/2 last winter for just a tick over $500 including shipping. Ray Gould said it's the best Granger he'd ever seen. Given it's condition, it was a good buy at $500. But a 7-1/2' version even in lesser condition would have cost closer to $1,000. Ditto Phillipsons, Devines, Orvis and others.

Grangers are a poster child for today's rapid escalation in prices for older rods. The same one I bought would have brought closer to $150-$200 five years ago. Now, they enjoy a reputation as a well-built 'western style' rod at a reasonable price. But a 300% increase in price over 5 years is anything but reasonable to some folks. If you frequent Clark's board, you'll know that the run-up in Granger prices is an ongoing sore spot with most old-time caneiacs.

Sadly, the bargains of a decade ago are all but gone and so for $275 to $450 these days, all one is most likely to find are either well-used lower-end rods like Montagues and Horrocks-Ibbotsons or better quality ones with issues like short or missing tips, sets, ferrule problems, deteriorating wraps or missing guides.

In other words, if you can find a good condition Granger Special at any length for $275 to $475, buy it. You can probably turn around and sell it the next week for a profit - maybe even a handsome one.

K
  19. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Speaking of Ray Gould.
    I spent a few hours with him at his home last week.
    I went to pick up a rod that he had rewrapped for me and ended up lawn casting three or four of his own creations.
    He has a few models that he calls "double parabolic". This descriptive term is based on the stress curve, not the taper. Very interesting action. The rods can be cast off the tip for short casts or worked well down into the grip for long line, long stroke casts. Ray fishes in lakes from a small pram. These rods were developed for their ability to pick up a line and lay it back down in front of cruising fish with minimal or no false casting within a broad range of distance. Very interesting. He sells his new rods for 700-750. You will not get the impeccable finish and gem-like appearance of a new $1200.00+ rod but you will get an excellent and versatile fishing tool with top quality components and a well-developed action.

If you are not concerned with collectability, I think he offers a very solid deal for the money. Collectability and its associated cost, is governed by a set of variables not necessarily related to fishability and not always predictable. Much like the stock market.

He also makes a few models with an action intended for an easy transition from graphite, for those who are new to bamboo or do not really like a full flex action.

Other than as a recent customer, I am in no way associated with Ray. I just think that he has developed a line of rods well suited to the various conditions we have in the Northwest.

TC
  20. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ray's double parabolics were developed for fishing lakes in the BC interior. He's had a cabin on one for about 30 years and has it dialed in. I ran across a rave review of his double parabolic by accident some time back and have always meant to ask him about them. Glad to hear you had a chance to cast them. IMHO, his rods are a solid value, priced well below AJ Thramer's or any of the east coast makers.

K