Anyone else just crazy obsesed with smallmouth bass?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Jason Wood, Oct 17, 2008.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I find myself day dreaming about a week or so this last spring that were just insane.

It was Lake Whatcom, around spawning beds with poppers. 20 or so to hand and nothing smaller than 2 pounds with the biggest about 4.5 while fishing under a full moon.

Tie up some classic half red, half white poppers and go out on a full moon when the barometer hasn't moved for a while (this takes some luck but happens around here). It can be EPPPPIIIICCCC.

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    the hands down hottest fish ive ever hooked (and fortunately landed) was a 6lb smallie i pulled out of lake goodwin. 23" x 19" ill dig up a pic and post it sometime. that thing was one BADASS fish. i would love to get a mount made someday i will probably never top that one. They have so much power for their size. Its all in that tail.

3. Jason Wood

Jason Wood Guest

6 lbs? Damn.....

4. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Hear Dat!!! Grew up in Wasilla, moved to CA and am trying to make my way back up, but this is as far north as I can get my wife. DANG I miss it. Even if there are bass down here. I'll take a salmon on the little su or ship creek any day over a bassie.

5. chattmr

chattmr has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you ever come to Alabama, drop me a line--we'll get you into spotted bass, redeye bass, and shoal bass . Even better than Smallies and Bucketmouths!

Coach D - You are not the only one, Yuhina uses a spey and a switch for bass here in Alabama, while standing in a river right next to gun-toting bait-chunking tobacco-spitting rednecks. Talk about some funny looks... (until he totally out-fishes them, that is!)

6. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    iagree

What he said.

redeye rock bass too.

7. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    Banks is filled. The highway follows for 15+ miles and parallels many rip raps that all hold tons of fish. Get a boat and you won't be able to fish all the water in 20 trips. I've logged lots of hours there, and I still find new places every trip. High density lines and fast retrieves.

8. u2ill

u2ill Playing on the Palouse

Home Page:
    Ah...nuuanu stream...fished it many times...Kaukonahua is my personal favorite on Oahu for smallies...maybe just because it lets me get a good hike in as well!

If only the trout streams on Kauai had bass in the same places as the trout!

9. u2ill

u2ill Playing on the Palouse

Home Page:
    Ah...nuuanu stream...fished it many times...Kaukonahua is my personal favorite on Oahu for smallies...maybe just because it lets me get a good hike in as well!

If only the trout streams on Kauai had bass in the same places as the trout!

As for Eastern Washington, plenty of stream with smallies in the 12-15" range.

10. flytyerboy95

flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

Media:
    dude ever since i caugth a 4.5'er on my first time ive loved that fish :) :) :)

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    well its 12°*and I won't be seriously fishing for at least 7 months

12. wberumen

wberumen Waitin' for the old bucketheads to hit!

Being from Oklahoma, I am extremely obseessed with all forms of bass!!! Largemouth, bronzebacks, stripers, rock, sand, or hybrids-I just don't care. Haven't really gotten to fly fish for them much (I only recently switched to fly fishing), but back home it is the ONLY thing to fish for! Well, I guess kids fish for perch and blue gills, and the old and lazy go after crappie and catfish, but the hard chargers go after good old bass. The last couple of years I have been so caught up in trout and salmon, I hadn't spent much time chassing old bronzebacks. That will have to change this spring since I have almost finished building my new 6 wt. Now if only I knew of somewhere close to Yelm to find 'em...

13. longstick

longstick Member

To all the guys that have or do fish smallies in WA, what is the water temp you are looking for to start the season? This is a late spring for you guys so is the season getting pushed back?

14. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Hey, don't spread the word about shoal bass, they are the greatest of the whole bunch. I might want to go back down there and fish'em. The Flint River was a blast to float, fish and camp when I was at Auburn. We would set limb lines for catfish dinner and c/r the Shoal bass. Saw a guy, fishing on the bank, hook a BIG flathead cat on a Zebco 33. The line started to sing and then that fish just "drove off". Burnt up that reel, too.

15. ryry82

ryry82 Fish Addict

Media:
    i start fishing for them when the water temp gets to around 50 to 55 degrees. Potholes res has to be my favorite place for largemouth and smallmouth hands down. sinking line for the smallies with any minnow pattern. strip and hold on! they fight harder than any trout in my opinion.

16. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

"To all the guys that have or do fish smallies in WA, what is the water temp you are looking for to start the season?"

We caught 35 Largemouth last April 7th in 48 degree water out in the basin. BIG skirted flies with plenty of weight. One went 6lbs as I recall.

Look at Mardon's website and you'll see Mike holding one caught on a spinner bait recently....

17. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

I can't wait to fish for bass this spring!! I have fished for them with my spinnin gear but this will be the first I fish for them with a fly rod. It really needs to warm up a little though.

18. HammerinHonkers

HammerinHonkers New Member

The wealth of knowledge in the statement is truely underrated. The yak is at best good, especially when you see what the snake and the tribs can produce. Duff, I used to go to WSU and every spring we would make 3 trips down the the snake and the "trib" before we had to go home for summer. Had some truely awesome days.
    HH

19. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Well, I'm going to stick my oar into these smallmouth-happy waters....
    I, too, love smallmouth, especially on the Columbia River. This river is crammed full of smallmouth -- I even wrote about the spring fly fishing for smallmouth on my blog this morning.
    I suspect that the Columbia and tribs -- especially Yakima and John Day -- have the best smallmouth bass fishing in the country right now. I spent some time fishing Virginia smallmouth rivers two summers ago, and they were good -- but no comparison to the Columbia!
    I have had many mornings with fish on consecutive casts during the spring -- and also fishing early in the morning during the summer and early fall.
    Best of all, smallmouth hammer salmon smolts, so I never feel guilty about whomping on these introduced fish. I eat smallmouth about twice a month -- which is about as much as anyone should eat in the Northwest.
    Most of my fishing is from the rocky banks while on foot. Where do I fish? It's easy to get access, and lots of state parks in Oregon and Washington are on the Columbia.
    I've caught tons of smallies from marinas and even near boat ramps. :)
    I spend most of my weekends in Hood River, so I get lots of shots at smallmouth bass.

20. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I used to live in Omak and with a light spin rod and white grub I would hammer the smallies for hours on those hot summer evenings in the Okanogan right in town.
    There are smallies here in the Columbia around Wenatchee but I haven't found just where and if I do I'm not telling.
    Smallies rock, I have yet to catch one on a fly rod, the time will come.