Anyone else just crazy obsesed with smallmouth bass?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Jason Wood, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    are there smallmouths in any northern westside lakes? i have caught a few in black lake near olympia but havent run across any since i moved north.

2. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    I live a stones throw from the lower Yakima where it meets the Columbia River and it is good spring and early summer after that the Columbia, Snake and all areas around rocky shoals are where it's easiest to find the little bronzebacks. In the Yakima save yourself some frustration and money just bring along a handful of weighted black, brown and olive wooley buggers, and dredge the bottom on the breaks, they be there.

3. Riverman

Riverman Member

I'll drive 500-miles any time to fish for smallmouth bass... just love floating the rocky rivers.

4. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    I've had good results this year fishing from my "toon" in Banks Lake. There are lots of sheltered areas where the power boats won't run you down. The best results were on a Crawdad pattern fished on a type 4 sinking line. Fish from daybreak until about noon for smallies (with a few crappie thrown in), then switch to shore fishing for carp. A summer's day can't get much better than that.

5. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

whats better then bass tho...walleye!!!

6. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Good thing I got a 20' 150 h.p. stratos bass boat to cruise around in! BTW, Potholes is low and good right now!

7. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Yes indeed, the smallie obsession is truly a sickness for which there is no cure! Having fly fished for trouts/steelies for most of my life I started chasing smallies last year on the Columbia River with the help of my buddy's Ranger 198VX with a 200hp Yammi HPDI to get us up and down the crick. We mainly use conventional gear for them mostly because the wind is always an issue on the big "C" but also because we can use our filthy Luck Craft LV500's and even filthier jigs with a Yamamoto Twin Trailer. 'Ol redeye pulls like a bastard and they will come after you once you land them, so beware!

And I agree with coach, they are pound for pound one of the hardest pulling freshwater fish in North America. They don't give up and will give you a more than modest beat-down on light gear.

Coach, you have smallie, bonefish AND peacock bass in Hawaii??? Dude!!!

The pull of the potato bass is strong......

CS

8. smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic Kind of a B-boy.

I am crazy about smallmouths. Hence my screen name :)

9. Chicotello

Chicotello Member

No doubt...I'm already jonesing to get back out on Roosevelt this spring...here are a couple of nice smallies from the last few seasons along with a big carp I picked up while smallie fishing!

10. Tightloops65

Tightloops65 I bleed Scarlet & Gray

Fished for them in OH then moved to Bozeman MT where I was a guide on the Yellowstone and Madison for about 4 years. Enjoyed fishing for trout but missed the Smallmouth fishing. Got a transfer back to Ohio and have been in heaven since!! I fish a small stream about 1 mile away from where I live w/ my Sage "Bluegill" rod using the standard stuff like clousers, poppers and gummy minnows. Although at times I miss Bozeman and the trout fishing, I must admit that I am very pleased catching smallies.

11. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Nice choice of words coach.
    Haven't had the chance to catch one on the fly yet. They are scrappy fish though, so i'm looking forward to it in the future..

12. Yakfish

Yakfish Dad, Angler, Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have gone coocooo for smallmouth!