Anyone else moving away from the skagit system this winter?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Oct 22, 2010.

1. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Just curious to know if anyone else has decided on a different winter strategy. I switched to the Guideline Power Taper DDC, around mid season, last winter and can't see any reason to return to the skagit line.

So are you getting away from the skagit line?

Feel free to answer, even if you have never used a skagit, and list the merits of your winter system of choice.

Thanks, James.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why would I? I'll stick to my home made lines. No one has shown me anything that works any better.

3. James Waggoner

Media:
    Cool, so what's your home made lines consist of...floater or sinker? In your experience with making your own lines, what kind of taper are you constructing and at what length?

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Never been in the presence of a Guideline DDC, but the skagit lines I have deliver the goods better than my skill level and experience deserve.

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

spent last winter fishing the ddc and other scandi lines....back to skagit...trying to put lipstick on a pig..

I've heard, read, listened to guys who can huck bigger or weighted flies with them but it didn't work that well for me...Honestly, end of the season was coming and I just said fuk it..went back to my skagits and the ease they fished all the fly sizes I wanted just left me scratching my head...

Were talking winter run fish here, not summers and yes I've caught them on smaller flies etc but trying to battle a line when another one is much easier to use??? well I was pig headed and had to find out for myself...

I really like the guideline lines and own a few..but have to be honest with myself and ask..."was this the right line for what I'm fishing?" my answer was "No"...
    Now I watch guys on my last trip and they are still using the good old delta..throwing big azz flies and still loving that line...price is right as well...or you can do like kerry and make your own..

should add that what finally helped change my mind was watching my bud land another steelhead while I was still stubbornly fishing my scandi head...not catching fish will put a damper on anyone enthusiasm..

This is just my .02 from my experience...yours could be a whole lot different..won't know till you try it out yourself..

6. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I'm fairly satisfied with my lines right now. I have a couple of empty spools but can't afford to be filling them just cause. I beleave the correct line is the key to making everything work but will have to live with what I have, close is good enough.

7. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I am going to lead core and neoprene waders so if you see that on the water just smile and wave.

8. James Waggoner

Media:
    What I like about the guideline DDC is that it's a full intermediate/sink line. I can get away with a lot lighter system and still get it down by changing tips. It fishes extremely well lower and slower in the water column, with an unweighted fly. As far as fly size goes.... won't cast a set of car keys but you won't need it too...it will cast a 2"-3" unweighted leach or intruder no problem.

Nothing against the skagit, it's a work horse, and I've been pretty successfull employing it. The sinking powertaper just seems to be a more efficient way to fish, in winter, if you choose to swing flys.

9. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    There is anotherway to fish for steelhead then swinging? Odd, very odd.

I like my skagit. Poke, Poke, Poke.

Go Sox,
    cds

10. James Waggoner

Media:

11. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I stopped worrying about offending them. Their more sensitive then Oprah's audience. Fuck nymphers.

Go Sox,
    cds

12. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

After over 20 years of spey casting and countless lines both home made and stock, nothing is better for me for than a Skagit system. I will continue to try new set ups as they come along but right now I find that the Skagit set up is the most comfortable for me.

13. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I am using Compact skagit on all my rods right now. I did get MOW tips for each setup. Still no fish but I am having fun casting!

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In the words of my mentor; "You don't need no stinking taper."

15. TomB

TomB Active Member

To answer the original question, YES. Last winter 40% of my fish were taken swinging a weighted fly on a long leader off of a dryline. I hope to increase that percentage this year.

16. steve s

steve s Member

Media:
    I use both homemade and store bought skagit systems and don't plan on changing for my winter fishing. The thing that I like about skagit systems compared to full sink head is the ability to get around large rocks/boulders. A full sink will wrap around the boulder, the floating section of the skagit will float over the boulder and the sinktip will swing just on the other side of the boulder. To me, a skagit system is the most efficient while offering the most flexibility to fish deep or shallow water.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Tom B, what length of long leader were you finding effective, did you have to tie them custom yourself? What depths do you think your fly was reaching?

Steve S, interesting observation about the boulders and the benefit of the floating system. On my winter rod I use a custom scandit or delta, both with appropriate tips. I found myself getting comfortable enough casting them into areas I could not reach before that I would work many boulders from the near side, then far side and a floating line would allow me to mend and/or high stick to get my line to present nicely on the far side of many of those boulders that were exposed on top. I could not catch any fish to save my soul, but I sure felt that I was covering a lot more water in a much better fashion.

18. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Tom i believe the discussion was about swinging flies with spey rods, you can keep the nymphing talk on piscatorial pursuits!

19. James Waggoner

Media:
    Working over the top of boulders is pretty easy with a 13'6" rod... floating or sinking line, the principle is the same you have to hold your line off the water to get around a boulder poking above the surface. On submerged boulders, because the line is density compensated, the fly is the lowest part of the swing, so the potential for wrapping around a boulders is actually not really high, certainly no higher than the belly in 10-12' of t-14. The key, like any line system, full sink or tips, is to get the right density for the situation...and know the limitations of each density...get to know a particular density well enough to know how to manipulate the line, by casting angle, rod positioning and the introduction or elimination of slack.

20. flatheadmatt

flatheadmatt Member

Classic!