Anyone fished Ozette River?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Michael Thore, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Michael Thore Member

woodinville, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm hiking out the Ozette Trail next week and will have a couple of days fishing on the Ozette River. (camping 2 nights at the South Ozette River sites). I'm sure I'll fish the salt for a few days as well (any input here on tactics or what to expect are welcome). I was hoping someone might have some insight on the Ozette River. SRC's? Steelhead? Resident Trout? I'm not sure what I should target/prepare for. I'd love to carry my 8 wt but I'll appreciate the weight of my 5wt more when I'm packing in/out w/ all my other camping crap. Any input appreciated!!

Tight lines,

Michael (bunnybugger)
  2. Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

between the mountains and the sound
    Except for the 50-70 yards of terminal river where it flows into the ocean, it's a tough river to swing wets in, because of all the wood debris and color of the water (tea-colored from all the tannins). The gravel banks near the beach are sweet, though, but watch out you don't hook one of the seals that hang out there, chasing fish!

It's easier to fish from the North side, but the camp on the South side, up on a bank over the river, is a great spot to camp.

I've caught some resident trout from the Oz, but never fished the salt around there.

There's a trail on the North side that leads upriver, past a huge old steam engine mounted on a sled. Called a steamdragon (or something like that), they used to use it to winch and pull it up and down the river and for logging. It's pretty cool.

I'm jealous. That's a fun trip. Have a good time.
  3. Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +422 / 0
    That would probably be a steam donkey. In the (pre-war) glory days of logging the steam donkey engine provided a power source for the high-lead rigging and was mounted on skids so it could be moved from place to place by running a cable out, hooking it around a stump and reeling the cable back onto the drum, dragging the donkey along like a sled.
  5. Michael Thore Member

woodinville, wa
    Thanks guys. Great aerial view link. We'll see what i get into!!
  6. Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

Yep, that's it.

Steamdragon........?:hmmm:

I've been watching too much Bruce Lee.