Anyone fished the salt for SRC lately?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Dec 18, 2001.

1. fly15 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am going to go try to catch a src or three on thursday, anyone do any good on them lately?In The Estuary Flyfisher it
    said that dry flies are a really effective way to catch src does that applly to the winter months or just summer.Any info would
    be much appreciated.THANKS.:DUNNO
  2. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

I've not used dry flies this time of year but have had a lot of success fishing small streamers. I've had my best success using a spruce that has a purple body, a red tail, and a very light hackle for the wing. I've also had great success using rolled mudlers. I've also used various egg patterns as the SRC's have keyed in on the spawning salmon. As you're probably aware, you've got to keep moving to find the pods of fish.
  3. steve New Member

Hey Skinny, where have you been fishing? I just bought an old bamboo flyrod I'd like to try out in an estuary or three. Do you any of the estuaries in Bellingham by chance? Any info would be apprieciated.
  4. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    hey fly15. read the searun cutt article on the home page that should some it up for you. but watch the weather. its been pretty nasty with maybe a 2-3 hour window to cast depending where your at. Ben

P.S. try a point with eel grass with some current that is next to a rocky beach with some streams nearby. or a lonely sandspit. But you will have to do some fishing to find them. later Ben:THUMBSUP
  5. Gizler New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    I was out last sunday and landed three SRC's and lost a few others. One shot about three feet out of the water when it spit the hook and looked to be about 17"-18". I was using an epoxy head candle fish pattern that I picked up at Kaufmann's.
  6. steve New Member

Are guys fishing in the north or south sound? What I really want to know is if anyone has had any luck up near Bellingham. I don't need specifics, just a general sense of how far north people are catching them. Any info would be helpful. I promise to let everyone know how I did.
  7. roger stephens Guest

I did real well late summer and fall skating a floating candlefish pattern on the surface. I usually landed 10-15 src's with this fly each time out in south Puget Sound. The past couple of weeks I have been getting 4-5 src's. Now, they would follow the skated fly but would not smack it like before. So I went the old reliable clouser minnow and full sinking line to get them. It sure is more fun to get them on surface takes.
  8. Flyfisher Frank New Member

Roger, Hi Thanks for the post on sea runs. Sounds like your having lots of success and fun in the salt brine. I'm contemplating trying this out. Are you using a boat or fishing from the beach? Also what wt rod would work best for SRC casting. Thanks Flyfisher Frank
  9. roger stephens Guest

I fish out of boat so that I can fish a lot of different spots each time out. The sea-run cutthroat seem to prefer certain locations but they may not always there so you need to do a little hunt and seeking to find out where they are hanging out that day. A boat makes that an easy task. In the winter/spring/summer the resident silvers will usually lock in or stay at a certain location for a month or so. When you find them, you can keep going back to the same spot until they move somewhere else.

I use 3wt's and 6wt's out in the saltchuck. I prefer to use a 6wt for the sea-run cutthroat even though a 3wt works fine. The sea-runs are a hard fighting, fragile fish that can good belly up if you over play them so with the 6wt you can get them in and turn them loose quicker. The resident silvers are a lot heartier fish so I use a 3wt for them in the winter/spring. I use 2 lines weights higher to overload the rod so I can made long casts in hurry with 1-2 false casts when the fish are on the move and need to be covered quickly. Plus, the heavier lines help out in the wind which is usually blowing out in the saltchuck. I always carry two rods string up. One with a floating line which I use mostly for sea-run cutthroat and the other rod with a extra fast full sinking line to go down after them when necessary.
  10. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    Rodger
    In what general area are you fishin not excact. maybe area 13,11, ect.had one day with cutthroat after that cant seem to locate some. but there are blackmouth in area 10. Ben
  11. roger stephens Guest

I fish almost exclusively in marine area 13. Almost anywhere in that area can be good for resident silvers in the winter/spring. From year to year, they will lock into various locations which are depend on a food supply to keep them there for a while. There are a couple of locations in the northern part of area 13 that they can be found every year. In the southern part of area 13 it is normally a hunt and seek game to find out where they are hanging out each year but some years you can't find they in any numbers there until late spring/early summer. Most of the resident silvers in area 13 come from the net pens(joint operation of Wash. Dept of Fish & Wildlife and Squixan Indian tribe) on the eastside of Squaxin Island. 1.8 million 6-7" silvers are released early/mid summer from these pens each year. They will head north if there is not a food supply to keep them down there.

For sea-run cutthroat, I have had the best fishing in the southern part of area 13 vs the northern part. The southern part has almost unlimited prime sea-run cutthroat locations as there numerous inlets and passages which possess nice current that sweep across points or beaches. There is little public access to the beaches so a boat is almost a neccesity to have consistently good fishing as a lot of locations can be fished each time out.
  12. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    thanks for the reply, there is alot of area down there I want to try, guess today would be perfect except for being the holidays. never fished down there, always went north not south, good to have you on the forum. Ben