anyone fly fish kellogg lake by sultan?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by newflyguy, Sep 1, 2002.

1. newflyguy

newflyguy New Member

I am brand new to flyfishing and I am going fishing on Kellogg lake near Sultan and was wondering if anyone has fished it and what to use. It has large mouth bass, perch, black crappie, brook trout? and cutthroat. I have a 8.5' #7 pole and WF7F AND WF7S lines. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

newflyguy

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I don't know if this will help but to fish it you need a boat. I would think a wood or metal would work good as it has a lot of sunken logs and lots of them laying every which way. I don't think that I would try it with a float tube or a pontoon boat unless you are very brave.

One more thing,if I was new to fly fishing. I would think that I would try somethimg just a little eaaier than that lake.

One more thing,there's no shore access.

I hope you have a good time on your first time out.

Jim

3. newflyguy

newflyguy New Member

Thanks for the tip. I will be fishing in a boat with a guy from work. I was hoping someone could tell me what size and type of flies to use.

newflyguy

4. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I've fished it twice in the early season for trout and struck out both times.

You will need a boat of some sort, as the only access to the lake is very shallow, and continues along for about 300' before its more than knee deep to the bottom mud. I have no idea if its wadeable, as the western end is an excavated peat bog. and if the eastern end is, then you may find yourself in a bottomless hole if you try to wade.

As to flys, poppers will work on bass. wooley buggers will work on all the species, and some small adams would be nice if mayflies or midges are hatching.

And your rod is plenty big for fishing for bass, if not oversized for the rest.

Rob

5. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    I'm a big fan of Kellogg
    In my dark days, before I saw the light clearly, I fished Kellogg for bass quite often. I did fairly well on the cutts in there using anything small and deer-hairy. Caddis, stimulators and the odd parachute adams...You'll know when the cutts are feeding on the surface. Just remeber to throw 'em all back because I don't think the it recieves any stocking by the state. Maybe it does, don't know but I know there aren't tons of trout in there (never seen a brookie in all the times I've fished the lake). But the fish in there are nice ones.

I've had a bit of luck trolling small black wetflies on sinking line or sink tip out in the middle of the main lake. The crappie seemed to really like it.

good luck!
    jack

6. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    Oh, another thing...
    beware of thieves at the carpark. I've had my car window smashed out there and a radio stolen on one occasion and on another I was buzzing in with an electric motor to the launch at dusk and some kids were loitering around the area and left as soon as they saw us coming in to shore. It's very isolated and you can't see you vehicle while fishing. I seriously thought about parking a car at the launch with some expensive stuff in plain site and hiding in the bushes with a couple friends armed with baseball bats!

Some real classy local boys from Goldbar or something...
    no offense to anyone from Goldbar...it's just the nearest town that popped in my head!