Anyone gonna be in Mission Bay this March?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Luke Ramirez, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm going down to San Diego for a vacation in the end of March. Anyone gonna be down there? I was thinking about bringing the 8wt and a handful of Clausers. PM me if you'll be down there and want to meet up.

-Luke
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    I'll be on the "Silver Strand" (S of MB) April 2 - 5 but I wasn't thinnin of fishing. Oldest daughter has crew races and we'll be doing college tours to boot. (Well actually, some will). Youngest daughter and I are pool buddies and we're way overdue for some QT.
    Sorry, I realize that's little help. I remember a fly shop in Coronado but it wasn't much to see.
  3. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    I heard that it's essentially Flats style fishing on Mission Bay. Has anyone been down there recently? Is it worth it to rent a boat or is the shore access OK?
  4. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I used to live on Mission bay and except for a ways down past the volley ball nets don't think I ever saw anyone fishing it, cept illegals for their cloths...

Good place to surf and check out the walkers etc. I wouldn't be casting out if you see any boards though...good way to get a serious whuppin....

The strand or point loma might be Ok, I only fished the inside of the harbor or out on the kelp beds...You can hook up a boat and head out to the islands for some bonita, just not sure when they are running..
  5. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I'm not sure where you heard that, but there is nothing "flats style" about Mission Bay.

I've never fished inside the bay, but I'm going to be down there this weekend and will probably rent a boat and poke around the inside a bit for bay bass since nothing much else is happening right now.
  6. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    I heard that a good set up is an 8wt with a floating line and long leader, using bonefish flies and clauser minnows, sight fishing... That's kinda flats style right? I'm thinking of Mission BAY, not Mission BEACH.

Alpine - let me know what you find down there...
  7. fishheads New Member

port orchard, wa
    Call SoCal Fly Fishing Outfitters. They have a relatively new shop right around the corner in Point Loma and can help point you in the right direction. http://www.socalflyfishing.net/
  8. billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

Bellingham,WA
    I used to kayak fish Mission bay all the time.There's good fishing for bay bass over the eel grass,calico bass towards the jetties.There's a good tackle store on MB off of Ingraham st. I think,they can steer you in the right direction.Those little salty bass fight good for thier small size.My wife actually caught 2 white sea bass in one of the back bays that were 24-26''.Take a sink tip if you have one for the jetties and working the sides of the kelp.Admittedly most of my fishing was with spinning rods and fishtrap swimbaits but big clousers worked too.
  9. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    I think you have the two confused. People sight fish for corvina and other species along the ocean beaches. Within the bay, it's blind casting with shooting heads and Clouser minnows in 8-15 feet of water. I rented a skiff on Saturday ($50 for 4 hours at Dana Landing) and managed to pick up a couple of sand bass. The rental skiffs are like bathtubs with motors, but they do the job. Just drift and cast, motor back upwind, and repeat. Check out a chart ahead of time to identify some deeper holes and other likely spots.

Some useful links:
    www.danalanding.com
    www.sandiegoflyshop.com
  10. Copper Jon What a Jim!

Seattle, WA
    Good info. What type of setup did you end up using? I'm curious since I recently decided to take a job down there and am just starting to explore fly fishing options.
  11. Copper Jon What a Jim!

Seattle, WA
    Hey Double Ugly,
    I know there was a pretty good "squid bite" in Feb. from the homeguard yellowtails but the squid boats got wind of it and have probably cleaned them all out by now. You can rent a kayak and head out to the La Jolla kelp beds from La Jolla Shores beach. It's not a bad paddle at all and you might be able to slay a big CA yellowtail on a heavy fly rod (10-12wt.?):eek: Springtime is also when the elusive white sea bass start prowling around the kelp beds as well. That area also has some honker calicos which are a blast and treasured fish down there (CnR for sure). The other challenging but very worthwhile fly fishing option is to walk some of the quieter beaches in North County and look for corbina in the small waves that you can sight cast to. It's supposedly pretty tough but according to a couple fly guys I know down there, it's the most fun you can have with a fly rod. Good luck, post a report when you get back!
  12. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    7wt with a T300 and big clousers.
  13. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    Good info guys. I would love to explore the kelp beds off La Jolla shores but I think on this short trip I'll be staying down near the Bay for the most part. I'll post a report when I get back.
  14. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Ballard, WA
    I fished the surf in Ocean Beach for about 3 hours on an incoming tide and got skunked. I never really got the feel for the timing in the waves and all. I would have loved to have spent a couple days out there. Good trip over all though. The guys at So Cal fly fishing in Point Loma were really helpful. If I have time/money next time, I'll probably hire them to guide me.

-Luke