Anyone have a scadden Rampage?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by golfman65, Oct 15, 2010.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

THink this is going to be my new thing...though it's still a toss up between it and the sky. as I would like to stand up on rivers...

Anyone know or use one? What are the standard oars like? Speed the same as a toon?

thanks,

2. johnnyd

johnnyd Member

I have the Renegade and I absolutely love it. I think the Rampage is basically the same thing just a little bigger. So far the boat has handled all the river conditions just fine and it is light enough that I can hike back to my car with it on my back and all my gear when I am done with my float. We probably live fairly close to each other if you want to check it out.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I also have a Renegade . . . light & very responsive with the composite oars. At 62, I have a tough time standing in a real boat so that feature is a non-option in my case, but I can pack the Renegade just fine. Lots of capacity, easy to transport & inflate (I normally haul it partially-deflated in a Toyota Tacome short-bed, but have hauled it more-deflated in a Dodge Caliber.). No more frame boats for me.

4. JackJester

JackJester Member

I have the Rampage and I am very happy with it. I also have an Outcast Fish Cat toon and prefer the Rampage. It handles the water just fine in terms of oar speed. The oar length is not adjustable on the Rampage and I would prefer another inch of separation, but it is not a deal-breaker. I feel a lot safer in the Rampage vs the Fish Cat, but that is more likely due to the length difference (8 ft toon vs 10 ft Rampage). The weight and easy transportability are the features that make it stand out above a traditional toon. I also like how the oars lock into the Rampage vs the Fish Cat; you won’t lose your oars if you flip. I don’t have an anchor, but I have heard the anchor system for the Rampage is a bit iffy and rubs on the boat when lowered and raised. The Rampage does not come with a stripping apron, but I made one out of the apron from my Togiak float tube that I was no longer using. It does fit into the luggage bag that comes with it but you need to get ALL of the air out. I agree with Jim – No more frame boats for me.

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Good point re: the anchor, Jack. Think I'll roll my Scotty forward a bit more & laminate a buffer on the front of the toon if it still rubs, altho I don't anchor all that often. Thanks!

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

good to hear..bought one this weekend thanks to Ed turning me on to a deal...

Comes with the composite oars and just about every other bell and whistle...don't think I would be using the anchor much on a river but who knows..normally just throw a rope on the back to tie it off...

Very glad to hear, that thing looks like the answer to what I was looking for...