Anyone have advice for Puerto Vallarta beaches??

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by earlsmith, Mar 27, 2006.

1. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    Anyone fish Puerto Vallarta Lately?? I just want to do a little beach casting around Punta Mita, because that northern area has been said to have more rocky outcroppings and it's the only reference I can find that anyone spoke about the beach fishing????

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    When you goin?

3. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    I'll be there April 6th thru the 12th

4. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

I'll be there the 7th - 14th. I'm staying at the Hyatt...I believe it's near the marina.

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I'm heading out this week to attend a wedding. Popular spot this time of year I guess...

Not sure yet if I'm going to bring gear or even plan on fishing this time though.

6. bconrad

bconrad Member

I was just there last week. I'd highly recommend against trying to fish off the shore in Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta. Too many people, dirty water, and no structure.

I didn't get up to Punta Mita, but I hear it's better up there. Plan on an all day excursion by bus if you don't want to pay a fortune for a cab.

7. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Thanks for the tip. If I did fish, it would probably have been from the beach in the local area. I won't have much time to travel around...

8. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    We will be in Neuvo Vallarta, so a bit closer to Punta Mita, got my 7 wt and surf candies all ready lol, what the hell, I have calleed a few places and been told there are fish to be had if you can find some structure to fish, I'm gonna give in HE double hockey sticks at least one day =)

9. bconrad

bconrad Member

I was in Nuevo Vallarta, at the Grand Mayan. Whatever you do, stay away from the rock jetties at the small marina to the north. They're contaminated with human waste.

10. Brian Bennett

Brian Bennett Because We All Live Downstream

Home Page:
    Just back from San Francisco/San Pancho, north of PV, just north of Sayulita. We hired a Panga, 25 bucks an hour, and got into a bunch of fish near Punta Mieta, Jacks, Macks and Dorado. We hired the boat out of San Pancho but I'm sure you can find Pangas for hire in PV. We also had good luck early in the mornings off the rocky point south of the beach in Sayulita, small Dorado and Jacks. Walk down the road towards the point and head through the graveyard, you will come to a sweet beach and from there you can fish your way out to the point. If you do the rent the boat program you will be under gunned with an 7/8 weight but OK off the beach. The Puget Sound arsenal of flies were the ticket too. Below is a link to a couple of pics of Dorado posted on my blog. The wife outfished me as usual.

http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/2006/04/viva_la_sunshin.html

11. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    I just returned from Nuevo Vallarta and did most of my beach fishing at the mouth of the river that separated Jalisco from NV. I shredded most of my bright Clousers in the early daybreak and just wacked them w a series of bass poppers as the sun rose. Almost all exclusively Yellowtail, Croakers and Jacks, but man what a blast.

As the sun rose the croakers would pod up and act likethey were surface feeding, you could land a small popper in the midst of them and they would fight over it! I fished from 8 to 10 PV time every morning for eight days, and had them dialed in by day three. The low tide, if it fell during daylight, seemed to make the fish pod up even more. I was a good 150 yrds from the mouth of the river, and waste deep. It was about a 20 minute walk from the Nuevo Vallarta breakwater for the marina to the point where you could see the river mouth. Had a 6?7 wt with a clear shooting taper lake line, it didn't effect the popper action as I was stripping it and getting it to gurgle to entice the bite.

Earl

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Nice going. I should have brought my fly rod. I could see what I think were jacks cruising along in the clear water up at the other side of PV from you. Each time a wave would come, I'd peer into the flat water and often see a dark torpedo zipping along...

Did you notice the red tide out in front of downtown and NV in the bay there? Nasty stuff. Our panga cruised through it at one point and it was some nasty stuff.

13. Brian Bennett

Brian Bennett Because We All Live Downstream

Home Page:
    Our second day out on the Panga program we ran into the red tide. Tried running a ways north and fished around a large off shore rock and managed to get into some Jacks and needle fish but the action was much slower.