Anyone have any experience with Nautilus reel company service?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by MT_Flyfisher, Jul 25, 2014.

1. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

Earlier this summer I had planned to buy one or two Nautilus NV reels. I talked to one dealer about getting an NV G5 model, and a second dealer about the NV G7. These are both Nautilus dealers, and are located near me in SW Montana. Both assured me they had these reels on order, and expected to receive them by the end of May, or the beginning of June. However, to make a long story short, neither dealer has received these reels yet, and after talking to a third Nautilus dealer, I understand that Nautilus has a reputation for not always delivering reels to their dealers when promised - something about not having a sufficient staff in Miami, Florida.

This has got me to wondering if their customer service is as delinquent as their delivery of new fly reels to their dealers. Anyone have any experience in that regard?

Even though I think Nautilus makes some pretty nice reels, I'm not sure I really want to own one if their customer service isn't top notch as well, in case I might need it at some future point in time.

Thanks, John

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I know with the new CCF X2 out they are slammed because they aren't exactly mass produced in China reels

I also know that a lot of dealers blame others for their own shortcomings to keep your business

Nautilus makes the best damn reels there are- I only know one person who has ever needed to use their customer service- and it sounded like a great company to deal with

I will continue to buy Nautilus as long as they make reels- all other drags seem crappy in comparison

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

There are a shitload of brand new nautilus reels available from a lot of sources right now. Take a look at all the brand new reels up through retailers on eBay right now

4. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I bought one of their reels in 2008 or 9. It broke on my first outing with it. Sent it back to the shop I bought it from & they sent me a replacement. About two months later my original reel arrived back to me in the mail. I decided I didn't want either of them & put them up for sale on ebay & a couple fly fishing boards. The short of the story is that they somehow found out that I was selling the reels & began to harass me about it until I told them that they were my reels & I could do whatever I damn well pleased with them. First rate creeps. Avoid this company like the plague.