Anyone have any experience with South Carolina Redfish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by GoDeep, Jan 28, 2010.

1. GoDeep

GoDeep "Fish hard and fish often"

I'll be in Charleston SC at the end of March and I was thinking about doing a little redfishing. Does anyone have any experience in that area at that time of year? I know that the winter season is the best for sightfishing.....just not sure what the end of March would be like. Thanks for any help.

2. Van BT's

Van BT's New Member

I used to live in Jacksonville florida so i have some experience with the reds down there in the st. johns and intercoastal waterway. out in the backcountry and the marshes and creeks the high tides will be extra high that time of year, and the reds love it. i'm talking like at low tide you'll be able to see a marshy island and mud flat, and then come back at high tide and you might be lucky to see the tips of the grass on the surface. it's places like that, where the water covers up areas that normally aren't covered, that you want to fish. you'll see the tails of 'em as they feed eradically during the high tide, and they'll hit almost anything. a black clouser minnow with red eyes is my personal fav, but any shrimp or fiddler crab pattern will also work well. glad somebody posted something in my area of expertise lol; i'm new to washington.

3. herl

herl Member

I was in Savannah, GA exactly that time last year. It is a little early, but I hired a guide (a first for me) and did the whole flats boat, sight fishing for tailing reds thing - all firsts for me. The guy (Scott Wagnor of SavannahFly) knew where to go and put me on a ton of redfish. There was only about a 1.5 hr window when they were actively feeding - from the time the flats flooded to when the colder water cooled down the flats, and crabs and everything just shut off. I had a dozen good shots, and finally got this nice fish on one of my last chances. The impression I got about the early season is that they feed best on a flooded flat that has been warmed by the sun all afternoon. So if you have a bright or warm day and an evening high tide - that's perfect. If it's a cold day, it may never materialize.

A few tips that I thought were valuable - if you've never fished for them:
    1) you have to put the fly right on their nose. They are at once super spooky (scared to death of boats, vibrations and shadows) and super blind (only see food or flies right in front of their face).
    2) If you manage to get a fly right under the nose of a feeding fish just point your rod at the fly and jiggle (don't strip) the fly on a tight line until you feel resistance.
    3) strip set - if you lift your rod to hook the fish, you won't
    4) use a fly with a good weed gaurd.

That's just my impression - keep in mind I've only fished for them once. Actually, that's not true - I went back out to wade a flat the day after my guided trip and didn't see a single fish. That could be b/c it was a colder day, later tide, or b/c that flat was just too accessable and didn't have nearly the fish. Another thing to consider in the low country that time of year is stripers, and shad.

Good luck!
    Eric
    View attachment 28618
    View attachment 28617

4. Van BT's

Van BT's New Member

nice red herl, that one's a medium/large fish for the inshore.

5. GoDeep

GoDeep "Fish hard and fish often"

Thanks for the information guys. Herl, that's funny you mention needing to put the fly on their head....I fished for them last year out of Rockport, TX (my first time) and I was putting the fly about 2-3 feet in front of them trying my damndest to not spook them. The guide kept yelling at me "Put the damn thing on it's head!!!" and it worked. It's a totally different experience than casting to bones or permit for sure...but I love them. That's a damn nice Red you caught.

6. call bay street out fitters in beaufort sc , just 45min south of charleston. look them up on the web for # , i was stationed the in the 90's, they have been good to me every time i've been back to visit , good luck