Anyone have experience with a Classic Accessories Togiak Float Tube?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by aplTyler, Nov 4, 2011.

1. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I have an opportunity to pick up a once used Togiak for really cheap. I already have a tube (an old Caddis U-shaped tube that has me sitting really low!) but want a better one. I also recently picked up a free Pontoon Boat but I'm pretty certain it was free for a reason (Classic Accessories Arrow 8'... assuming it's a genuine piece of shit).

I'm looking for something that'll get me out of the water a bit (my boat sits me really low in the water... too low!) and will move around pretty efficiently but will still have some control to it in the wind. I'm not a big guy (6'1" and 170) so weight capacity shouldn't be much of an issue.

I know the Outcast Fish Cat 4 is a solid boat and I may just keep saving my pennies for it but this other boat is 1/4 of that price and looks similar. Any experience or feedback? Thanks!

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    disclaimer: I have no experience with CA boats. But over the past 15 years of trying several inflatable boats I have come to a few conclusions which may be useful . . .or not :)

The lower end tubes/tunes aren't really designed for regular use. If you fish a few days per year, they will get you by for a few seasons. If you fish a few days per week, not so much. So your decision should come down to whether the "bang for the buck" is adequate . . .based on your needs for a boat.

3. aplTyler

Thanks TP. I've been thinking the same thing. My old Caddis tube got me by because I didn't fish much outta it (about 1-2 times/yr). If I fished more often then I'd have gotten rid of it due to sitting so damn low in the water. That and I'm sure it'd fall apart.

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I have the Togiak, I bought it with the thought of hiking, as it weighs very little. If you really plan on fishing still waters regularly, get a Fat Cat or toon. I like the toon as I can easily carry at least three rods, as well as plenty of food, beer, cigars.....

Wayne

5. aplTyler

That's what I figured. Is the Togiak just flimsy? Do you sit up out of the water a bit more than with a traditional tube?

6. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

I fished for eight years on a Gunnison float tube, (which is a low-end product, compared to the larger float tubes which would dwarf the Gunnison), & even experienced my very own Gilligan Trip on the Iroquois river, traveling in the tube, covering 17 miles.
    I guess it's all about how you take care of your stuff, or how hard you work your craft in various types of terrain. I have to order a new, (Main), bladder for it, & it will cost me about $25.00 + s&h.
    The original had a myriad amount of pinholes develop from using a window sash weight for an anchor, & I forgot to grind off the little burrs that were on the seams of the cast iron. I had lost my other sash weight the trip before.
    An absolutely wonderful craft, as I spent many weekends fishing different sections of the Kankakee river, various lakes, & ponds. From the time I would pump it up, using it, & then just tossing it into the trunk of the car @ the end of every trip, was easier than anything else I've ever had.
    And it was as comfortable as any easy chair I've ever sat in, & I had a 3' wooden swimming pool paddle, that I clipped a tether to one of the d-rings, that I used to manipulate the tube for where I wanted to go, & it was especially good on the rivers, as I would work one side, float downstream then get out, hike back upstream on the other bank, put in & fish the different holes created by the eddies of the water's current, then do the other side again, & it might take me all day to work a mile long section of the river.

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    no and no. but i have fished comfortably all day from it. The bladders are definitely cheaper than a Fat Cat or similar. It is pretty light though to carry.

Wayne

8. aplTyler

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really do appreciate it. I took my tube out today and It leaves a bit to be desired. I may jump on the deal for the Togiak or hold out a bit longer for a better tube!