Anyone have seen or is willing to do a video on...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Apr 22, 2012.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

Mending and line control for the down stream swing?? I am a better learner with visual theme. better then words. So has anyone ever seen a video on this subject? Or is someone willing to do a video?? Thanks

2. Bryce Levin

Bryce Levin previously upsfisher

Scott Howell spends quite a bit of time talking about swing speed and line control in Skagit Master II. I would highly suggest picking that video up.

3. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

i'll second that

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I really like John Hazel's Fly Fishing Steelhead. He spends a lot of time explaining the lie of steelhead and how to work into that lie as well as current speed, etc. Well worth checking out. I watch it over and over just as a reminder.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Didn't Lanni Waller cover this in one of the best SH videos?

6. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I don't think that mending is a great idea. I believe that you should make any mend right after the fly hits the water and then let it swing. I've seen too many fish turn away when the mend is made in the middle of the swing. Just my $0.02

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Really? How many? When and where did you see this? I'm asking because I've never, ever, seen this happen.

Sg

8. Etamaman

Etamaman Member

How to mend in general is a broad subject:
    Mending with a skagit/sink tip
    Mending with a Scandi/floating
    Mending with a full integrated spey line floating
    Mending with a full integrated spey line with integrated sink tip
    Mending with a DT or F single hand line
    Big fly, Small fly, weighted or un-weighted
    Long or short leaders

Then in high, low, cold, or warm water......
    Too many variables I think. Why confuse yourself even more?

They all take some practice on the river to get the feel down for how hard to throw your mend and when.
    Just get out and fish. I'm sure you'll feel what works for ya and you can learn by watching others on the water.

I normally try to put a mend in it right when my skagit/sink tip hits the water and try to mend all they way close to start of sink tip to straighten the line as much as I can without moving the fly. Then let it swing. I think the "hangdown" is where people turn fish away the most. Be patient on your hang down....if you think it's long enough, give it another 15 seconds. Also sometimes a small rod lift or dropping your loop will promote a strike on the hangdown.

Just know that if you hookup with a steelhead on the swing, your are blessed. :)

9. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Really? How many? When and where did you see this? I'm asking because I've never, ever, seen this happen.
    Sg
    To answer your question...a lot of places. Call up John Hazel (or other guides) and ask what he thinks....I don't know what he would say but I believe he would agree. This is just an opinion, not an edict, you should fish however you are more confident, I think that is a lot more important than anything else.....

10. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Your mend is dependent on where you cast and the type of water you fish. Then you have to decide how you want to fish the fly. If you are just casting and swinging without thinking about it, you are letting the fly fish for you. If you consciously think about where and what the fly is going throughout the swing, you will be able to play a little more and find what is right in the situation. A more broadside presentation one cast versus a down and across, etc. then fly placement down and across versus upstream then across. Then you can add a riffle hitch or even just do the dead drift. tips and fly weight also play into the scenario. You can do a lot with a swing and present the fly differently if you just play around a bit and figure it out. There is a lot more to casting and swinging in regards to presentation then a lot of people think. Sometimes it matters and sometimes it does not.

11. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

I think that if you ask "John Hazel" about mending he would say don't mend to novices and those that don't really know when to mend. This keeps them from constantly mending thier fly and it keeps them at least fishing with some efficiency. But as you get past the casting hurdle with the two handed rod, you start into the fishing hurdle. Your distance wont always be "as far as you can cast". Your cast wont always be "45 degrees and down". You wont always "mend once as the fly hits the water, and then leave it". You will start to learn the nuances of fishing a fly through a run effectively. Cast mend swing a few feet mend downstream, swing a few feet lift the rod tip to clear that swirl, mend upstream, let line out pull line in, lead the fly, trail the fly, reel up and step upstream, downstream, etc.................. I mend quite a bit throughout the day at various stages of the swing. I mend to keep the fly swimming in in the correct manor.