anyone have the outcast pac 1300?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by TWD, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TWD

TWD Travis

wondering how easy it is to deflate any disassemble. ideally looking for something I can fit in the back of my suv instead of towing that can haul 2-3 anglers. I was just out with a guide on the sol duc and we floated in the outcast and it was quite nice ... no bonejarring bumps typical to a drift boat, seemed to move well in the couple of dicey spots, i also like the self bailing floor nature of rafts.

anyone have experience with this rig they care to share? I have the outcast pontoon (pac 9000) and wonder if there will be a big learning curve moving to the raft and weight associate with more anglers/gear. Guessing that the raft will react slower than the pontton but really don't know

any input appreciated, will likely sell the pac 9000 in the interest of getting my father in law on the water more often

cheers, Travis

2. Anil

Anil Active Member

Let me preface this by pointing out that we are an Outcast dealer, so you can take this with a grain of salt.
    I have two friends that have the PAC 1300. It is a great boat, but you are correct in assuming that it will not be as responsive as your PAC 9000. On the other hand I wouldn’t recommend putting three friends in a PAC 9000. The boat and frame will pack down into a small enough package, to fit into the back of most SUV’s but will take about 45 minutes to set up and take down each time you use it. (Both of my friends trailer their boats.)
    All boats are a compromise. The strength of this and similar rafts is that they can be packed down if needed, they handle rough water well, can be carried to launch, and they handle low water that would tear up a drift boat. A raft fits my needs well but may not be right for you.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

3. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

I have guided out of a Pac 13 for about 6 years, on the Sol Duc among other places. As far as reasambly, I would say 2 guys with practice could pull it off in about 35 min or so including inflation. However, this sucker is heavy, especially at the end of the day when the pontoons are full of water, which will drain out on your car floor for the next couple of hours. I think this boat works best on a trailor. I would always rather be in my drift boat or pontoon. The Pac 13 is necessary because it gets 2 anglers (plus me) to great low water spots where my drift boat would be too much work. I like the way it rows as long as the load isn't REALLY heavy. Of course you have to have the big guy up front and on cold wet days I hear alot of grumbling from the back. Its not a great spot to fish from. The Pac 12 however will fit easily on top of your car completly inflated and take two guys in stye and comfort any where they want to go. If you want I can give you some tips on rigging the 12 to haul tons of extra gear.