Anyone heard of Wild Steelhead& Salmon magazine

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I had seen them a few years ago, but seemed like the one day I decide to buy it later, it disappeared. Well, got about 8 issues of them (circa 97-98) and they're pretty fun to read. Found some pretty interesting things in there as well (like a $450.00 Abel cigar roller ). What I liked the most about the magazine it wasn't printed so "clean", but the writers told it like it was. I know it was originally Wild Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon, and think it's now Fish & Fly (which I can't find either in any stores). So, is it still in print? I'd love to see if they still have virtually the same format. I loved the 1st page, a classic full dressed atlantic salmon fly. I really enjoyed the magazines I have. Looks like buying the old one's are a major mint (I only paid about $0.80 each).

So, has anyone else seen these? Was wondering what your take was on them, or do you have info on them now? Looks like they were published out of Seattle, WA.

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I believe that Fish & Fly still is, since I subscribed to it at the Fly Fishing show in February. I did get my first issue and if I remember correctly they are a quarterly magazine. You can get a subscription on Amazon.com, but I can't remember what there web site is or even if they have one.

I do like the magazine and have picked it up over the last few years, but couldn't pass up the good deal I got at the show.

Bill

3. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    Those magazines were awesome. I still have a few. I knew a magazine of that quality couldn't last. Did you snag any of the original large format?

Last time I checked Fish and Fly is still around, with a similar format. Atlantic fly in front, a lot of personality bio's etc.. They do have these annoying 12 page article/paid advertisements in the middle though. They seem to take up half the magazine.

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    www.fishandflymagazine.com

If you decide to subscribe, don't do it online from their site, phone it in instead. While you're at it, tell them they should be using SSL on their order form so their customers credit card numbers don't get stolen.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    No, they didn't have any of the large formats. I got some of the really good issues though (they may all been good, only seen these). I got the whole collection that he had. It's great. May have to check out fish and fly. I posted same thing on another BB, and guess the new one caters to all fly fishing. Guess it wasn't marketible (sp?) enough since it was so specific. I love this magazine to death though. Great read nonetheless.

6. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I may be a jerkwater but I don't care for "Fish and Fly."
    I got a complimentary issue for some reason, and I didn't care for what I saw. Tons of dead fish. A lot of "Wow, look at me and all these dead beauties." I am getting sick of this crap. So What? So you did a few big ones in. So what? I'd much rather see a few fish much smaller who looked like they were still alive and might be released. Magazines influence many and in my humble opinion they should set a good example.
    What does it say to readers, especially the younger ones, when you display photo after photo of dead meat. T'aint
    good, my friends. Think about it and then complain.
    Bab:professor

7. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    About six months ago, I had the good fortune of getting about 15 paper boxes full of magazines for free, just about every fly fishing publication dating back to 1978. It included several copies of Wild Steelhead and Salmon magazine. Looked like a good mag, but they discontinued it and replaced it with Fish & Fly. Bob, sorry to hear that you don't like the magazine, but it happens to be my favorite mag. Great photos, great articles, too bad it's quarterly! I subscribed at the fishing show, however, and never got my magazine! I had to buy the last issue...

I just picked up the new issue of Wild on the Fly, now that is an awesome magazine...

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
    -Paul Schullery

8. sinktip

sinktip Guest

I am with Bob on Fish and Fly. When they aren't having their Bikini Clad Brunettes of Bonefishing issues, they are busy photoshopping cover pictures. If you are into that, more power to you but it is not my thing.

As for you not getting your subscription, I would call Tom Pero directly in Ballard and ask him where your issue is.

9. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    Hey, worldanglr, what's "Wild on the Fly" magazine? I did a web search and couldn't track it down. Maybe I am just out of touch.

As for Fish & Fly, it's a quality mag. I haven't noticed a preponderance of "dead fish" shots there compared to any other magazine, and they tend to do travel articles about slightly more leading-edge destinations, which I like (when was the last time Fly Fisherman did anything risky lilke that?). I think, though, that the best section in Fish & Fly is the piece where they get 4-5 local guides to break down a fishery and include a recipe (and photo) for a fly tied by that guide. It's some of the best content I have seen in a magazine. On the negative side, the Seychelles swimsuit issue went way too far.

For those people wondering about Wild Salmon & Steelhead, here's a link to the back issues:

http://www.fishandflymagazine.com/wss.html

Circlespey

10. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Wild on the Fly seems to be a mystery. I received a free copy of it in the mail last week and talked to worldanglr about it on the weekend. It's a highly travel focused, extreme angling type of mag, sort of like Fish & Fly on a little more cutting edge level.

11. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:

I think there's only been a couple issues of Wild on the Fly. I thought it was a well done, content based, catalog for the travel arm of Mike Michalak's The Fly Shop in Redding! ;)

I like Fish & Fly. The content can be all over the map- but some articles blow away anything in any other mag. Pero is moving the bar forward with his approach (like circlespey mentions with the regional multi-guide articles). The personality profiles are well done too (the Brian O'Keefe article comes to mind). So they miss here and there- like the bonefish bikini issue (Although I must admit to the humor I find in some fly fishers delicate sensibilities, like we exist outside the world we live in or some such thing...).

I'd rather take the good with the bad trying new stuff in Fish & Fly, than the same old, same old, same old.

12. sinktip

sinktip Guest

"Pero is moving the bar forward with his approach"

That is one way of looking at it. Or you could just say he is moving the Dean North:rolleyes :rolleyes

13. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:

"Or you could just say he is moving the Dean North"

That's a heck of an accomplishment! Although I wouldn't mind if he moved it south and tucked it away someplace out of the way- closer to home ;)

Remember when NW Fly Fishing published the how-to on Olympic Char? Ooops! Heck they're only magazines, but I enjoy reading new editorial styles and approaches, that's all I'm saying. I still love NWFF despite the fact they encouraged people to fish in closed waters for a species protected by the ESA. And you have to admit the Bonefishing boobies were nice to look at in the dead of PNW winter :eek

14. sinktip

sinktip Guest

I know Steve Probasco still gets grief about the Quinault article. Fairly sure that one was not intentional. As for F&F and the Dean fiasco???? Last I heard that was still being publically denied.

Yeah the bonefishing article had some eye candy. If I want to read made up stories though, I will find a Penthouse.

15. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Media:
    Home Page:

Wild on the Fly is a new magazine just put out that is based on fly fishing and fly fishing travel. Lots of color photos, great information on world wide fishing, etc. It's a quarterly magazine, they have been giving away free issues for a while to try and get the mag started. If you're looking for an issue, head to your local fly shop, Swede's has the latest issue, as it seems they sent a dozen copies to just about every fly shop in the Northwest. The new issue that just came out is the third issue that has been released...

I like the mag because it's right up my alley, some awesome photography, great articles, and all the articles are about fishing in wild places. I'm not sure it's an actual branch of The Fly Shop, but they certainly are a big backer for the magazine. The current issue has an awesome article on the rainbows of the Zapapurna (spelling?) river in Kamchatka, an article on the mahsheer of India...

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
    -Paul Schullery