anyone here ever fish 25 mile creek?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Hieronymus, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Ryan Hieronymus

Ryan Hieronymus Member

Home Page:
    I was looking through a few pictures of my Lake Chelan trip from last summer and noticed that, although I didn't fish it, 25 mile creek looks pretty fishy. Obviously I wouldn't pull any trophy trout out of a stream like that, but is it at least worth wetting a line in? What time of year would a stream like that start fishing well do you think, or would it be pretty consistent? I've never seen it above the campground, so I'm not sure how far up it goes, or if there is even any access. Just throwing it out there I guess. I'm still a novice, so I don't know much about anything really, sorry!

(I prefer to fish the smaller water)

2. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Media:
    Worst thing that can happen is that you get skunked fishing some awesome water! Id check it out in the summer time, Late June through September possibly even october. I would not be surprised if that creek held some trout, maybe even some that would surprise you. I have fished some creeks in that area along with a few friends also and all have been pleasantly surprised!

Get out and wet a line, you'll be rewarded!

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    posts like this are the reason I hate the internet.

just go.

dryflylarry and Dehlan G like this.
  4. Ryan Hieronymus

Ryan Hieronymus Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for the input. Sorry my post bothers you but Lake Chelan is a long ways away from me, and I was more or less just asking if I would be wasting my time or not. I'm still trying to learn.

5. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Posts like this are the reason I hate the internet.

6. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I've fished Railroad Creek at Holden Village, and it has fish, so I assume that 25 Mile Creek would as well. Typical size is 8" or less, and I've only fished it in the summer. Spring is likely blown out with melt water, and in winter I expect that there are low water conditions with minimal fishing action. Railroad has cutthroat, rainbows, and hybrids. Railroad creek is the 2nd largest tributary to Lake Chelan, I'm not sure how big 25 Mile is in comparison.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife did an extensive survey on Railroad creek in 2003 looking for Bull Trout - none were found. The report makes for interesting reading about the decline (and extinction?) of Bull Trout in Lake Chelan. I've included part of the abstract below. Seems like a lot of fish, so before everyone jumps on Railroad Creek, note that most of these were in the 3-5 inch range. I would assume 25 Mile would have similar fish in similar ratios.

Abstract.--Railroad Creek, a tributary to Lake Chelan, was surveyed in August 2003 to determine bull trout Salvelinus confluentus presence and describe the distribution and relative abundance of other fish species. Railroad Creek was surveyed from river kilometer (rkm) 0 to a barrier falls at rkm 2.2 and from rkm 8.0 to rkm 22.0. Sample units were surveyed using a combination of night snorkeling (56%), day snorkeling (34%) and electrofishing (10%). Thirty-four sample units were surveyed for a total length of 1,970 m which was 12.2% of the area surveyed. Bull trout were not found. A total of 650 trout, including 464 westslope cutthroat trout Oncorhynchus lewisi clarki, 154 rainbow trout O. mykiss, 31 cutthroat trout x rainbow trout hybrids, and 3 unknown Oncorhynchus species were observed during the survey.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Keep asking questions, the dude from Alaska ain't ever going to fish that creek. If I had any info about it I would tell you. But I don't. Besides you asked about the creek. Not what rock to stand on to fish. Besides that creek must be longer than ten feet.

Phil Fravel and Richard Torres like this.
  8. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Nice - I've hiked through Holden a number of times but never packed my rod. Last year I hiked from Diablo Lake to Stehiken via Thunder Creek, Park Creek Pass and the Stehiken river. Then back out up the valley over Cascade pass which offers the Cascade on the way out. I was packing light so I didnt pack my fishing gear. I'll never make that mistake again ;)

9. searun14

searun14 New Member

In reference to Railroad Creek and Holden ... there is a MAJOR mine remediation project going on for at least the next two summers so access to that valley will be severely curtailed.
    Many millions of dollars are being spent to increase water quality in lower Railroad Creek ... collecting and treating water that emerges from the mine (which closed in 1957) or runs through the tailings. Fish will probably remain pretty small even after remediation ... all things considered, its a pretty steep creek ... but it will be interesting to see what happens when this whole project is finished.

10. chief

chief Active Member

Sorry, I don't know anything about that creek. Other waters in that area fish best in the Summer after the runoff has subsided. I would guess it is not a destination fishery worthy of a trip purely to fish it. If you are planning to be in the area anyway it is never a waste of time to spend time on the water. You always learn something.......

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I just think the internet where anybody can read anything is not the correct forum for asking about places a long ways away. Perhaps its someone's secrete spot, and now its not. And when you are exploring, you are never wasting your time, that's the point of fishing.

dryflylarry and Dehlan G like this.
  12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I think I've had nightmares about that sistuation. I'm hiking along a series of beatuful rivers and streams, I reach into my pack for my rod and nooooo! I wake up in a cold sweat.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This creek runs through a state park. With as many people that visit that Park I don't think that the creek in question is anybody's secret spot.

14. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I agree. It's hard to hide a creek when it has a namesake state park.

These cascade creeks are all in essentially the same ecosystem. It stands to reason that they all have more or less the same size and density of fish. Some sections have a few bigger fish or a greater density but in general there's no secret Kelly creek hidden in the hills of the of Washington.

15. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Think about it Head of Lake Chelan

16. kjsteelhead

kjsteelhead Member

With over 3,000 posts on one site alone, that's pretty masochistic.

17. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    There ARE secret spots under peoples noses! I find them sometimes, and others do too. It's best not to mention anything on here. Thousands of people are eyeballing this. I like to fish either by myself, or with a friend, not 15 other nerds that READ how to get there on here! I rest my case, once again....

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I fished a major trib on the N/F Skykomish when I was spinner fishing. It was along time ago when I fished like that. The creek ran right through the middle of the CG. The people there were watching me pull fish after fish out of that creek. They were all about the same size 10 to 11 inches. Sometimes it amazes me that people don't usually fish these places because they probably think that there is nothing in there. They were surprised.

My buddy and his wife and kids had a good meal camping out.

Kyle Smith and dryflylarry like this.