Anyone Here Us The: Fish Cat 10-ir Stand Up

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by mdraft1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. mdraft1 Member

Kentwood, MI.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hi everyone,
    I am thinking about picking up a Fish Cat 10-IR Stand Up from Outcast and was hoping someone here might have some experience with the boat. Any thoughts?
  2. Frank R Member

Dearborn, Michigan
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I owned a similar stand up model, the Scadden Madison River. I did not like standing in it because it leaned forward too much. Look at the shape of your pontoons; it will lean forward too. I would highly recommend you test float one before you buy.

If I were to do it again I would buy something like a Skookum Steeleheader II. One that has large enough toons instead of the bare minimum.
  3. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    A 10' toon is plenty to stand in, assuming it has a long waterline and isn't a continuous rocker like the Fishcat is.
  4. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Ive got a small buddy who can stand up on the fishcat 10,but for every full grown person id say no way. Seemed like The bracket would drag in the water and also wasnt very stable. I'll be very nervous about using that standing platform in any type of moving water, forget about landing a fish from a standing position. If standing is a priority for you i would just save the cash for a real pontoon boat, steelheader, bad cat, catchercraft etc. Something youll be able to actually double haul on and not feel like your on the brink of falling in the water the entire time.
  5. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +352 / 3
    We have a demo I was going to offer you but it doesn't look like your in our neighborhood.:)
  6. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +374 / 1
    I have a Creek Company ODC1018. The toons it came with are like bananas, curved from end to end. Wile this will make it more maneuverable, it greatly lowers the stability. I put some 10' Maxxom's on it and now I can get up and walk around like it's my own little island.
    Just had it up on the Methow in way to low of flows. My fishing partner forgot his oars. I just had him ride on the back of my boat.:D No way I could have done that with the old toons.
    My point being, If you want a toon you can stand-up in. Look for a toon with a flatter profile tube.
  7. mdraft1 Member

Kentwood, MI.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful. I think I'm going to hold off on the Fish Cat for now.
  8. Short Fat and Ugly New Member

Boise, ID
    Some of the information here regarding the Fish Cat 10 SU is not accurate. If you would like additional information please feel free to call me at 800-966-0976.

Chris Callanan
    Outcast Sporting Gear
  9. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I have a set of the Outcast 10' pontoons, but I built a custom frame for mine that is much wider and has a larger platform than the Fishcat frame (see picture). This thing is very stable. I can jump up and down and basically dance around and feel totally safe...and that's without a lean bar.

Never used the outcast frame, but the platform seems a little small. As far as the pontoons, they may not be quite as stable as some of the flatter designs (like Maxxon), but they are more than capable of providing a stable standing platform.

ptboat.jpg
  10. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    That's a dammed good looking boat setup! How did you build that frame?[/quote]
  11. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Thanks, it's 1" aluminum pipe with speed-rail fittings. The platform and rear deck (not in the picture) are plywood with a bed liner coating.
  12. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
  13. BirdyinBOI Member

United States
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    What kind of Demo??
  14. BirdyinBOI Member

United States
    I really like that frame with the 10' Outcast tubes. I have the 10' Maxxons and I'm going nuts trying to find a welder to make me a frame. Could I get more specifics about the aluminum tube and the fittings. I.D and O.D. 6061-T6 ? You think that's gonna be, say "Class III" strong enough? I'm guessing the fittings are aluminum and that's why you went with aluminum tube (avoid the dissimilar metals issue?) Are your fittings drilled or just using set screws.?
  15. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    It's 6061 1" pipe, which means the I.D is 1". I actually got the pipe first, then the fittings which are also aluminum. The steel speed-rail fittings are too heavy, and I've never been a fan of using steel on boats (unless its stainless). On this frame I just use the set screws, but on my 2 man frame I pinned the drop down pipes just to be on the safe side. They are plenty strong though...never had any issues with them slipping or moving.

Lost of construction guys make elevated walking platforms with these which can support several people at once. Put it this way, it will handle any water that I would ever want to take a 10' boat through.
  16. BirdyinBOI Member

United States
    OK...you said the fittings are aluminum (which I think is what Speed Rail is...actually a special kind of alloy they say can be used with any pipe) but then said "steel speed-rail fittings are too heavy". Then what kind of fittings are they? I'm a little confused. I thought they were speed rail fittings. ???
  17. BirdyinBOI Member

United States
    One other question..those look like NRS oar mounts. In their catalog it says they fit 1 5/8" tube. How did you adapt those to the smaller tubing? Thanks!
  18. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    The speed-rail fittings I use come in either glavanized steel or aluminum. There may be another brand that makes an alloy type fitting though...

Yes the towers are NRS. I just used a rubber grommet to make up for the difference in the pipe size. NRS tube is actually 1 1/4" 6061, but the O.D is 1 5/8".
  19. BirdyinBOI Member

United States
    OK, thanks very much.
  20. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    I have that toon. I don't dare stand up in it though as I exceed the weight capacity of the platform. Overall it's nice. Bit too much for me but it works. Plan on putting a trolling motor on it this year.