Anyone hittin' the Yak on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DW, Jun 13, 2002.

1. DW New Member

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'll be headin' over bright and early on Sunday! I just bought a new XP and am chompin' at the bit to try it out! If anyone else is going...let me know...happy to have a fishin' buddy!

DW
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,647 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

Well if I could find a baby sitter. I would take you up on that offer. I haven't been over there since last year. And I'm chomping at the bit to go but I kinda get tired of that long drive by my lonesome. Jim S. :COOK
  3. ray helaers New Member

DON'T GO! I REPEAT: DO NOT GO TO THE YAKIMA.

I left there this morning (sat) with the water running about 6500 and zero visability in the canyon. Put your float tube in the car and keep going to Lenice, or get up really early and head for RFC.
  4. mtp1032 New Member

Sammamish, WA, US.
    Unless you're going to float, go to one of the lakes. I spent all day Friday and the flows were so high it really isn't worth it. I did find a PMD hatch in the eddy on the upstream side of the first rockpile at about 10:00 AM. Hooked (and lost) a couple of 12 inchers on a 16 elk-hair caddis. But you're casting from weeds next to the highway.

The Yakima is going to be blown out for wading until the fall now that the flows are regulated by agricultural demands.

:SAD

Good luck whatever you decide to do,

mtp
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,647 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

What's wrong with fishing the upper river around Easton. I usually have good luck up there on dries. And it fishes good up there in the summer time. Jim S.
  6. ray helaers New Member

There's nothing wrong with fishing around Easton. You're right, it can be darn good up there. I was thinking about giving it a go on the way home on Sat morning, but it was every bit of bank-full too, if not as colored as below the Cle Elum. The river can be deceptive up there; it seems like a smallish stream, but when it's running high, it can be good and scary to wade.