Anyone hitting the water this weekend?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Just wondering if anyone is going to head out and enjoy the warmer weather this weekend. The area I want to fish has winds around 18mph with gusts up to 28mph Saturday. Sunday forecast is for light winds and highs in the upper 60's. Looks like a road trip for Sunday. I will let you know the fishing goes. Enjoy your weekend.

Shawn
  2. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I did make it out on Sunday. What a beautiful day to hang out on the lake and enjoy the sunshine. It could only have been better if the fish would have cooperated. After four hours at the first lake without so much as a tug, I decided to try a different location. I need to back up a moment. The water temperature at the first lake was 49 degrees. Folks fishing the sister lake next to where I was were slaying the stocker trout. I did not see any fly rods. This was the first time I have ever seen any others fishing at this location. There must have been a club outing of sorts, because the lot was packed with campers. It was nice seeing families out enjoying the nice weather and catching fish. Back to the fishing report.

I arrived at the next lake to find three rigs parked at the "ramp". Two were preparing to leave. Two small fish were caught between both rigs; not encouraging news. I put in with the guy from the third rig. He was chasing bass with spin gear. I ended up catching two bass in about four hours of fishing; a 12" and 13" smallie. Both were caught on Clousers. One was white/chartreuse and the other was white/brown. Both were hooked while fishing slow and deep. The water temperature was 50 degrees. The highlight of the trip was watching a gal fight a very nice sturgeon. She broke the fish off bulldogging the fish. I later found out that she was too tired, and was afraid she was going to loose her entire rig. Instead of letting that happen, she broke the fish off. That was exciting to watch. The wind was not an issue at either lake. There was just enough wind to put a chop on the water.

All in all it was a great day to be on the water. I was expecting the fishing to be a little better than it was, but then again, it is called fishing; not catching. I can not wait to get back out on the water again.

Shawn
  3. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I'm considering launching my 'toon at Sammamish tomorrow. I checked it out today. Water temp was 54 Degrees at the boat launch and almost no boats in the water. I'm hoping for some bass. Has anyone tried such a thing? Any luck? Any suggestions? Are u safe from the power boats in a pontoon boat. It sure looked like easy access today but I certainly don't want any unpleasant surprises. Your comments will be helpful.