Anyone in here fish fiberglass for SRC in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I'd like to build a glass rod for beach SRC fishing, do any of you fish glass from the beaches for SRC? If so what do you recommend? I'm all ears for your opinions and suggestions! Thanks! :)

2. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    the time or two that I've fished for SRC in the salt, it's been with glass. But then again, that's pretty much all I fish...glass for steelhead, trout, bass, rockfish & surf perch. For trout, it's my Steffen Bros. 8' 5/6 (The 8'6" 5/6 could be a really fun rod for your PS SRCs). I also have a Fisher 8'6" 6/7 (it'll throw anything from a 6 to an 8wt, but even smaller fish put a nice bend in it, yet has the backbone to handle much larger fish). My Fisher is custom built up with ultralight SW components and can throw some serious line (as can the Steffen 5/6). Check out Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum for more ideas as some people love the newer Epic blanks as they are a little bit faster than your typical glass (so I've heard) yet you'll still get that nice bendo that makes fishing glass so much fun.

As an aside, it's really not too terribly difficult to generate enough line speed to deal with most wind. It's all about personal preference.

3. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Glass has class but for starting out I'd recommend graphite only because it can get breezy on the beach and when they're jumping 20' farther than I can cast you'll want graphite! They did make heavy glass fly rods, but if you go to a heavier glass rod you're defeating the action of "trout" glass so I'd stick with a 5wt graphite Alexander. Some of the quality glass blanks can cost more than good graphite. Just my .02

4. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Many beach fishers use integrated shooting lines like Outbound or Airflo - for good reasons. These work best with a fast action rod, which means high modulus graphite.

Get a fast action 6 weight, then aim high and let 'er fly.

5. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Incidentally, they also work really well with glass because it gets you deep into the butt of the rod where the real power lies. Although, you have to downsize slightly. For my Fisher (I like best with a 7wt line), I'll use the 200gr Outbound Short (5wt) and it absolutely flies.

I'd say give it a shot. Hit someone up who lives up there and actually fishes glass and has a variety of rods to play with. You may find that it really works for you, or you may not.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Line it with rollcasting in mind and piick spots that have river like flows. Spits, lagoon outlets, or penninsulas and it would probably be a blast. But you may have a nice graphite 6wt probably with an intermediate line setup for the windy days. If youre gonna build a glass rod,then purpose build it. Play to its strenghs. Maybe get a longer blank that would aid in spey casts. Keep it as a light tackle rod, and bust it out when everything's perfect.
    I just can't imagine it as an everyday beach rod. If the winds at your back you could probably throw it a ways, but if its in your face you might not be able to cast it 30'
    Just my 2cents, I have only cast/held lighter glass rods, but I have fished in shitty Puget sound conditions. I'd love to hear a report on the setup if you end up building one.

7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I'll report back no doubt! :). Thanks for all the input! I have a 6 and two 5wt rods and smaller creek rods. But glass has intrigued me for a while now and since I build my own rods now I want to give it a shot. I pretty much leave if the winds get too crazy, otherwise my beach experience has been that with regard to SRC I end up casting way out there but more often then not I do my SRC hooking within 30ft or so. So even when I cast out far my catching is in close. The places where I do have to get distance, say places like PNP, hood canal and other such areas I would. Other with a glass rod. But places such as Pat Lat mentions are fished by me more often then the others, so I think I'll be fine. Now to see which blank I'll scoop up for the task. :). I will report back once it's been built and tested. I'm on a tube fly tying roll now and have two short glass spinning blanks coming to me that will be built out as fly rods for a friend. :). Those will be small stream rods (6'6") but will probably be tested in the salt.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  8. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Alexander,
    We have to assume we fish because we enjoy it, right? Then why not fish with the gear you enjoy using. If that's with "glass", then I'd say go for it.
    Personally, I use older bamboo rods (impregnated ie; made by Orvis, Cortland, Leonard and Sharpes) in the salt all the time because that's what I enjoy using. They have worked quite well for me and I've caught a lot of fish using them over the years.
    It's easy to get a little caught up in the marketing and hype of technologically "advanced" gear (done it myself). But Searun Cutthroat have been feeding quite close to the beach for eons - you normally don't need to cast a 100' of line at lightening speed to catch them.

Just know this though, that if you use glass you run the risk of being labeled a "glass snob". Just enjoy it, whatever you choose.

Greg - a "bamboo snob" (but I have fished with steel, glass, graphite, boron and - a wood stick!)

9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Haha, nice! Thanks for all the input!!! I've always considered myself a fisherman first, my methods change based on mood, weather conditions and the general landscape. I'm from the Caribbean Island called Aruba. I grew up fishing from the rocks with a stick and line tied to the other end with just about anything tied on the hook, even cheese! Saltwater fish like some Gouda cheese! :D dropping the line straight down, lifting it back up with greedy little fish on the end. take them home, mom cooked 'em in the pan, and yum! Then I moved on to fishing with a large wooden spool, with hook line and sinker and pretty much fling the stuff out there by hand and let it wind off the spool...bringing a fish in "by hand" is rather fun and challenging when they don't let up easy. Then came the spinning rod, tons of fun, then came bait casting (hated it! - could not get past the birds nests). Then fly fishing with graphite and now glass and bamboo, (I picked up two old bamboo rods of which I enquired in the other forum related to glass and boo and even enquired on the classic rod forum), because it's new and interesting to me.

I love fishing and primarily enjoy fly fishing, it's good for my soul and yes I enjoy/love it. Went from fly fishing to fly tying and now to rod making...the sport suits my fishing OCD mannerisms well! :) Some great people on this forum, love all the input, good stuff.

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

This is spot on advise. I normally use a 6wt XP off the beach with a 240 grain OBS. When I sent it in for repairs I tried the same line with a Fenwick FF857. Until that moment I wasn't impressed with the 857 but it absolutely rocked with the OBS. And it would probably be even more fun than the XP with a fish on. I have the XP back now and will use it most of the time at least, because of the extra length and the speed is handy on the rare occasion when the wind blows.

If you want to go with glass though, give a serious look at a 8'6" Steffen in either the 6/7 or even 7/8. These rods have soft tips so even a 14" fish can show off. I have a 5/6 and while it would be perfect for the fish it would be a struggle in a breeze.
    Another option would be to pick up a Fenwick FF856 (or 806) for around $100, possibly less. Fenwicks have some backbone and the 6wts throw a 200 grain OBS pretty well. At that price it's almost disposable so I wouldn't worry much fishing it in the salt. Give it a quick rinse and be happy. (Cheap enough to leave in the truck 24/7 for SRC, Bass, maybe Carp, any trout up to average SH.)

Alexander likes this.