Anyone interested in Patagonia?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by muknuk, Dec 22, 2012.

1. muknuk Member

King Salmon, Alaska, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I just returned from my 10th trip to Patagonia and finally figured out the ins and outs of helping others frugal fly fishers that would like to go. If you are one of the 1% ers I have great recommendation on top Estancias that will cost you $1,000 per day plus tips, but for the rest of us that would like to go but feel the cost is prohibited, speak little of no Spanish, have cabin fever this time of year and would love to fly fish what Montana was like 100 years ago Patagonia is the place.
    For those that would like to do it yourself and can speak Spanish I would highly recommend Barrett Mattison's book and I would be happy to help you.
    For those that would like to have a bit more security and guidance I have a trusted friend that is willing to take groups of 4 and find a reliable rental car, lodging and meet with you each day to show you where and how to fish for $200 per person. Believe me this is the best deal going! You can see other options on his website. Just mention my name for the special promotion
    If you are interested contact Juan Jose Serra through his website http://www.flyfishingexpeditions.com/index.html.
    Just for the record I do not receive anything for this, i just enjoy helping other anglers finding a great experience. Attached are a few photos from my last trip. If there are any fly clubs I have a complete presentation on Patagonia and one on BC Steelhead fishing on a shoestring. Best of luck! Upper Pichi.jpg JJ & 10lbs brown in Boca Limay.JPG Rich lago Traful1.jpg
    dryflylarry likes this.
  2. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    What is the fish in 2nd picture? Chinook? Nice adipose! On my bucket list. Quick internet search shows airfare about $1200 from SFO, sound about right?
  3. muknuk Member

Robert,
    It is a Limay brown trout. They get big done there because of the huge lake. I have caught them up to 12lbs on dries, but my friends who live down there catch them up to 18lbs. I use my air miles to travel south through Delta or American. You want to fly into Bariloche and avoid the city if possible. There are specials all the time, so you should do a bit better.
  4. MDK Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Muknuk: Enjoyed your report. I lived in Chile in the 1970's (I was a Peace Corps volunteer). I never made it to the Argentine side of Patagonia but did visit the Chile side. Torres del Paine was(and is) one of the most spectacular places on earth. I caught a number of brown trout there. Some looked just like a freshwater brown from Montana and others looked more like a silver salmon. Some of the locals thought they were two different fish not realizing some were sea run browns. I have plenty of great slides from there that I need to get digitized.
    I see you are from Alaska. I lived there for 26 years.

Whoever created the world went to a lot of trouble. It would be downright rude not to go out and see as much of it as possible
  5. muknuk Member

We should connect I would love to hear more about your experiences.
  6. MDK Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I will be in Honduras most of Feb chasing bonefish. I have two sons living in Wasilla and two new twin grandbabies. I try and come up every summer to visit and fish. If you'd like to contact me, my personal email is:
    MDKelly1946@gmail.com Mike
  7. six5 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I will be going back to argentinian patagonia for a month starting nov 6, 2013. Mostly self guided. I would welcome responses from possible travel partners or ideas on spots/techniques . Bill wm3097@aol.com