Anyone know where to find black powder?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by VAhillbilly, Oct 21, 2008.

1. VAhillbilly

VAhillbilly New Member

I would like to find a retailer who will sells black powder. Not Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc., but real black powder. The way I see it, if you're going shoot shoot a traditional firearm (I shoot a Hawken), then you should use a traditional propellant.

I recently moved from the east coast where black powder is relatively easy to obtain (perhaps because of the numerous war re-enactments), but I have found no one in Washington that sells it at all. There are a couple of websites for specialty powder shops that will sell a minimum of 25 lbs at a time, but that is just a wee bit more than I want! Apparently, the hazmat fees are so high that retailers have a hard time making a profit, so they either have to sell it in bulk or not at all.

Anyone have ideas?

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I used to buy mine from "Hooked on Toys" here in Wenatchee.
    I still have most of a can and haven't shot my smoke poles in a couple of years.
    Happy hunting.

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

White Elephant in Spokane used to carry it. Federal rules severely limit the amount of black powder a store can carry, it's a class A explosive or something, so those that do carry it carry only a little, like 5 lbs. max, and this time of year are sold out very early in the AM..The old sport shop in downtown Eburg had some also.

Y'all might consider pyrodex...less corrosive, I've found it pretty reliable..easy to obtain and safe to store. I understand about the black, but I'm just sayin'...

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    You've probably already tried this place, if not it's worth a call:

Muzzle Loader Supply
    6514 River Rd E
    Puyallup, WA 98371
    253-922-1717

Or try contacting the folks here and ask them. If anyone would know, they would:

http://www.wamuzzleloaders.org/

5. VAhillbilly

VAhillbilly New Member

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll follow up on this and let everyone know how it turns out.

6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hillbilly,

IN case you're still on the hunt, a buddy of mine was just down in Puyallup at Muzzleloader Supply and confirmed that you can get black powder in quantities as small as 1 pound for $20. They will not ship.