Anyone looking foward to chum?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Peter Pancho, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Tom, your 8wt would do just fine, that is what I use for all my salmon fishing. Though if you are in the market for a new rod and that itch is a itchin, well I've been there too and a new rod scratches that itch pretty well.

Even, I'm usually fishing during the week, with the exeption of last week where I sorta just veggied out at home. I'll probably be on the Sky all week, with a possible trip to the Stilly. I work in the evenings, so I get to do some fishing in the day.

I too am waiting for the Chum to start running, but at the same time hoping I'm not as dissapointed as last year (which was supposed to be a good run).

2. Ed, I think you'd be fine with the NR because the extra length will help as more of a shock absorber. I'd consider that rod to be more like a 9 wt. You'll be fine, that rod was made to be strong in the butt section.

I probably landed over 300 Pinks during my month and half ravage, so I am a bit outside the norm, so the 6 wts. got worked over pretty well. My 8 wt. Classic GLX is not replaceable, BUMMER, so I have requested at 10' 5 wt. Streamdance GLX to add to the Chironomid arsenal since I missed out on your Scott that you recently sold.

If anyone is interested in a 9'6" 8wt. Loomis Adventure series rod, I'll be putting it up for sale, just for the Chums! Post to follow...

Looking forward to it, but still not over the Coho just yet.

3. Me too. Z Axis. Great warranty. Lets rock dogs!

4. I'm ready to tangle with some chumlies, but I'm not quite done yet with the Ho's. Ended up hooking two silvers yesterday but both escaped their appointment with the bbq.
    Nothing I like better then fishing into a stiff north wind....;)
    I did see another fly angler land a very nice silver. Congrats Dave if you read this forum.

Tommy,
    I'm just the opposite of you. I like my CPS way better then my TiCR-X. In fact, I ended up selling the TiCR-X. I found it way to stiff for my casting stroke. That is one thing we all have going for us, the different choices in rods that are available today. We've never had it better.
    I won't be concerned with using you TFO on chums. As noted, TFO has great customer service should anything happen to it.

Think purple or cerise for chums instead of chartreuse.

On a side note, if anyone has a CPS 8 wt for sale, please shot me a PM.

5. Stonefish has the right idea, "Think purple or cerise for chums instead of chartreuse."

purple works well i caught a few chummys on purple yarn last year.

6. ahh chums... Every time I went out for chums this year I ended up catching this:
    [​IMG]
    then this
    [​IMG]
    then this
    [​IMG]
    finally got the yummy chummy
    [​IMG]

yea those suckers are pretty big and tough when they are fresh...

7. I have two 7 weight z-axis rods just in case. :thumb:

8. AKPM, just rub it in buddy. Four species all in the same watershed???? Lucky duck.

9. what kind of fish is the first one?

10. First one looks like an odd Walleye...

Where are you catching Chum so early?

11. Hey Stonefish I dont know what it is about the TiCrX but wow the first time I picked it up I really like how stiff it is. I work my arm/shoulder less with the stiffer rod. I like that, Ive dislocated my casting shoulder too many times in my younger age and it can really start aching after a few hours of casting into a killer head wind. I cant imagine what an Airflo 40+ extreme distance line would do on it. I can cast a crappy Cabelas wt line a good ways.

12. You think???

Walleye:

[​IMG]

Lake Trout:

[​IMG]

13. Lets see I caught Chinook, Chum, Sockeye, Rainbow, Lake Trout, Arctic Grayling on rod and reel and had shots at northern pike and huge humpbacked whitefish

I caught a cisco and a lamprey in a net too... Suprisingly no dollies yet... Or humpies...

14. Chums in AK run from May to October depending on the watershed. The river I was on peaked about the second week of July...

15. he lives in alaska DUHHHH i've caught 6 or so chum already this year.

16. im ready for some chum! i havnt been out once for coho yet but have accidentally hooked one fish for pinks on the stilly! started peelin line ON THE FLY ROD and jumped like 3ft out and came unbuckled. stupid barbless hooks! and since i have yet to catch a fish on my 4wt glass rod, i think my goal is to get a chum on that! ;)

Arthur

17. My first one of the season last year came on my 5wt fishing for cuttys in the South Sound with a tiny shrimp pattern, I saw backing within a very short time. Took me probley 10min to land it on 10lb seagar, very fun but I brought my 8wt the next time.

18. Jake call me sometime you get off school, my 10wt should be here tomorrow lets take my boat out to colvos and catch those resi's there like nine pounds now!

19. This is a thread jacking. But what do you guys toss at them? I got an 8 wt and wanna see if I can hook some

20. anything chartruse in a #4-6, light weighted or none, depending on the depth. I'm gonna try different colors this year in cherise,purple,etc. XL Bead chain heads are the ticket for me.