Anyone looking foward to chums in a few weeks?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Peter Pancho, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Anyone targeting them from a boat in the Salt? PM me if you have some great info on presentation,etc. Looking forward to targeting them for the first time in my boat but still have eyes on fall Coho as well, forget Chico this year :beathead:

2. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I've never fished for or caught a chum in the saltwater, mostly because I've heard (and seen) that the best chum beaches are a total zoo. This year I want to give it a shot and catch my first saltwater chum, so I am looking forward to it. I imagaine that your boat will be very helpful in getting you away from the crowds and near some nice chum schools (if they are not too spooky). I'm changing over my saltwater chest pack flies to smaller staging salmon patterns now that the bulk of the ocean coho have moved into the rivers. Chum and cutthroat flies now.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Think outside the chartreuse box for salt chums. Cerise, purple or black........

4. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    I hope the return is good. I was really disappointed the past two years about the level of commercial fish in the sound and the few fish in the rivers. I may be pissing and moaning too much, but I remember tons of chums in the rivers and carcasses everywhere in the past. Last two years, it was hugely different.

Catching chums in the salt is still an open puzzle for me. some time you get the bite. Some time you find fish and can't get anything.

Joe

5. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Joe -
    the forecast of this fall/winter is only so-so with poor returns expected on the north Sound "S' rivers.

Overall the forecast was approximately 1 million chum with more than 85% expected to return to Hood Canal and Central/South Sound streams.

Tight lines
    Curt

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I haven't fished for chum in a long time. I'd like to get out but fall months seem to be so crowded with other things that chum fishing moves to the bottom of the list. I have rod, reel, line, and flies ready. I just need to make time.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I'm hoping to target them from my boat as well. I think I've also discovered a beach spot that I can intercept them on their way to Chico ;)

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    On a related note, in 2009 a coworker took me fishing for chum (my first time). He was a gear guy and I had no clue what to use having never caught a salmon on a fly but knew I wanted to use my flyrod. He was using some hooks with a mono loop tied in and a piece of chartreuse yarn on it with a weight to cast and get the yarn down. I ended up just tying some leaders with the hooks and yarn just like him and a small split shot to help sink the pattern. We ended up doing quite well and I kept a few for the smoker. Assuming that was a pretty typical setup that works, I would think small simple flies would work best. This was on a creek, and not in the salt so I'm not sure how that changes things. Not the best picture background, but it was dark before we left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    ..and search old Stonefish posts about Chums for some killer jig patterns!

10. No... I like Coho too much. Why not launch your boat the Potlatch launch and motor over to the mouth of Hoodsport. Make sure your anchor is good and it should be a good time.

11. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Paul, sounds like a plan at least once in the next week or two. This will be a definate change from Chico on the beach. I'll probably be using the same rig out of my boat; Clear sinking tips and #4-6 "dog-slayer" flies for me.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Why wait two weeks? It is not just a post Halloween game!

13. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Enjoy it they're great fun. just a little to far for me to reach this year.

14. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

love those doggies. and yes the WDFW has really done a number on chum runs in puget sound.
    the sky is just a shadow of what was a great chum run, with many fish pushing up to 20 lbs. caught my biggest chum in the sky.
    chum are very scent sensitive fish. in another words the guys who fish bait will kill them. most gear guys up here use fresh shrimp or anchovies. so if you are using the bug rod find another spot if guys are using bait in your area.
    oh yes black/purple/cerise and maybe orange/red and some of the greens. keep it jiggy. chomp. go doggies.

15. Hoodsport opens this Sunday...

16. Caveman

Caveman Member

That is what I wanted to know, plan on going in a couple of weeks.

17. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Chums spotted today in chico area.. Heading out with the boat tomorrow for a closer look and some cutty action! ;)

18. Caveman

Caveman Member

19. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Sweet! Let us know what you find out!

20. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Headed over to Chico and didn't find anything. Checked out a few more area beaches and after a little searching we found the source of the jumpers, and they were game to play..
    That's me in the first pic, 11lbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]