Anyone making/selling furled leaders?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by herl, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herl

herl Member

I am interested in a couple of these. I've looked into making them and it seems pretty cheap and easy.. once you have the jig made. I'm not sure I want to further diversify my flyfishing habits right now..

I'm wondering if anyone on here is set up for cranking these out to the point that they be willing to sell/trade a couple?

I'm specifically interested in a flourocarbon (sinking) and mono (floater) leader in ~10' and ~6' lengths. So 4 in total. I could provide the materials.

Thanks for reading,
    Eric

2. Luke Davis

Luke Davis Member

I have wondered about these too.. the set up for making them seems pretty simple..

Ive never used one though..

3. Riffling Hitch

Riffling Hitch Member

Media:
  4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I think you shoul make them and sell them. You have a natural brand name. "Herl's furles"
    I know a weak attempt at humor.
    Blessings
    jesse

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Isn't that interesting? I have a roll of 15 lb. mono that I've had for more than 20 years and last night, I started playing with it and cranked out a pretty crude furled leader. With some practice, I think I can perfect it. I won't move to Flourocarbon until I get it right. I downloaded plans for a jig and some instructions from the following website:

www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/brown_furled_leader.aspx

For some reason the url does't look right. I've edited twice. It should say gear/brown_furled_leader

6. Warmonger

Warmonger newt

"Herl's furles"
    hahah that was pretty slick

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Eric, PM sent.

In a nutshell, Feathercraft offers a huge variety of high quality furled leaders.

8. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

I'll second Richard on that. I believe they're currently having a special...free shipping with the purchase of a furled leader. I've only purchased one from them.

I've purchased all of my other furled leaders from the Fly Fisher in Lacey (360.491.0181).

9. herl

herl Member

Ha! don't tempt me.. I can get sucked into something like this way to easily.

It looks like fleabay has no shortage of reasonably price mono or uni (floating) furled leaders - which ones are good is probably another question.. but I'll probably go that route. For what it's worth one of the outfits is called "wonderfurl" - so Jesse, your's was a good idea, but how could I compete with that! :D

I need to keep searching for a source for the fluorocarbon ones - maybe contact some of those sellers for a custom job..

And thanks Richard for the Feather Craft tip - I did see those, but have a hard time spending $17 on something that I know I could make for $0.75... if I bought all the crap to make it.. I'd probably be better off just shelling out a few extra bucks and not thinking about it anymore, but this is how I roll.. :)

10. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Next time im in olympia im buying about 100 of the things. the fly shop in lacey set me up with one that I used for about 5 months and it was the best leader i have ever used, hand down. I esp loved the tippet ring. I belive if u send him a money order he will even ship them out to you. He sells them in full sink, intermediate, and floating i belive.

The Fly Fisher
    5622 Pacific Avenue SE
    LACEY, WA 98503-1271
    360-491-0181

11. ddaugher

ddaugher New Member

check out my site... http://www.stinkdogleaders.com... much cheaper and I have many, many happy customers... latest guy from WA... made him some custom Tenkara 11' 2/3 weight leaders... I sell for $6... tenkarausa.com sells for $19.95. Check them out.

12. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

At $6 a leader I'm thinking you'll be getting a lot of buisness! I've been using 7 1/2 foot on all my sinking lines and they turn over great. Still using a tapered leader on my GPX...just haven't found a furled leader that will cast better....yet! If you haven't tried them, your in for a pleasant surprise...they perform better than advertised!

13. herl

herl Member

Well I ordered a few for myself and a couple of new guys from stink dog's ebay site - the price was definitely right! I'll report back on how they work for me.

14. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Go to the ultrlight fly fishing site. Just google it and it is the first one. There is alot of good info and the leaders are there. Alot of fisherman use them there.

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Awesome! Not saying the product isn't good, but at $6 per leader when everyone else's are so much more, it makes one wonder why . . . ?

16. herl

herl Member

I hear what you are saying, and I will be checking them out with a critical eye. What I'm hoping - and I think it seems reasonable - is that he is just accepting smaller profit margins. Keeping in mind that the materials in these things cost less than a dollar - even at $6 he is doing better than most manufactures.

We'll see.

Eric

17. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I'm curious about spey furled leaders. I generally put on 10ft poly leaders when using a compact scandi.

How much tippet would a 10' furled leader turn over when a size 4-8 fly is on the end? My experience with single handed rods and furled leaders is that they can turn over longer than usual tippets. However, I've never tried to turn over flies larger than size 10.

Maybe a furled leader of 7' can turn over 7' of tippet and a size 4-8 fly? Or perhaps that is a little extreme? However, I don't know what the limits would be. Anyone know?

18. herl

herl Member

I think the guy is sending me a spey leader as well, so if he does, I'll let you know.

19. Eric-WD

Eric-WD Member

they take about 5 minutes if your slow and .50 cents to make, I'd say $6 is a reasonable price with out middle men to up the price.

Eric

20. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I wanted to bump this old thread up to see if you ever tried a furled spey leader and what your experience was?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.