Anyone put a motor on their outlaw assault? Or similar size water craft

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Wayne, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Wayne Member

Lethbridge, Alberta
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have the single man assault and am considering putting a motor on it. If you have already done this what motor did you go with and if you were to do it again would you choose the same motor?
    Thanks wayne
  2. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I plan on using my 55lb thrust electric on my XXX. Are you talking gas power?

SCARBOO
  3. Wayne Member

Lethbridge, Alberta
    Gas or electric I'm just trying to get some feedback before I spend my money.
  4. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    [IMG]
    That's about the only photo I have, but yea,I use one.
    40 lb. thrust for stillwater. Have a 5 hp Nissan but I haven't put it on yet.
  5. DKL Nude to the board

West Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I've used my 5hp Johnson on my Scadden Challenger in the salt. Used it on my own and with another in the boat. You have to adjust its position depending on weight/balance, but I thought it worked just fine. With just me in the boat it hauled (relatively speaking).

DKL
  6. Wayne Member

Lethbridge, Alberta
    Are you happy with the 40lb motor? I would be curious how much faster your boat will go with the gas motor .
  7. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    It moves it along quite well and I'm happy with it. As far as speed goes, with the Nissan 5 hp on if I remember correctly, fastest I've taken it was around 9 mph according to my GPS.
    I don't use either motor unless I want to get to a certain place and not bother to fish while getting there, going against the wind and I'm feeling lazy. Here's my take on the situation. Pros for the electric- easy to start and stop, just turn the handle to go forward or reverse. Simple and you can do it just sitting in the seat. Cons- 2 pieces in the motor and battery. And usually it's heavier than a gas motor. Haveto keep it charged up and the water level up. You haveto replace the battery every few years.
    Pros for the gas motor- no battery (but if you get a 5hp or larger you'll have to deal with a fuel tank and hose.) A 2.5 gallon tank of gas lasts a long time. Easy to take down to the water and set up. Usually weighs less than a battery and electric motor. You don't need to charge a battery like you do with an electric. Cons- pain in the ass if you only want to move a few yards. You have to put the rod down, get out of your seat and turn around and pull start it. Then put it in gear, move 50', turn around and shut it down.
    It doesn't sound like much, but having both (I mainly use the Nissan ob on my X5) the electric is more convenient to use for me.
    40, 45 should do everything you want it too for a kickboat.
  8. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    I haven't tried a gasser on my Renegade yet, but I have to think that Scadden mount for a frameless is a little shakey for anything other than an electric. The vibration alone would be a concern. i think Mojo's setup with a beefed metal frame on his framed X5 is the hot setup for a single. I think the next Scadden boat I will buy may be framed double so I can use a small outboard.
  9. MT_Flyfisher Member

Emigrant, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  10. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    I believe sportsman fabricated a motor mount for his Abel/Water Strider type boat that has an inflatable seat and rear deck to use with an electric motor. It worked real well. I don't recall the battery he was using but the electric motor kept him moving around Rattlesnake Lake for several hours on a coooold April day.
  11. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +80 / 0

I really don't think you want to mount a Gas motor to the "back" of the Renegade. First off, you will be going forward....that seat area WILL fill up with water. Most turn the boat around so that it is more like a Zodiak when using a Gas motor making the curved end the front of the boat and use a deck beefed up with strutts.
    I will use the deck for the motor and use the seat box for the XX to sit higher and facing towards the closed end.
  12. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Assuming the motor mount will work for a gasser which is a big assumption, the smaller motors are reservable with a flip of the handle. Still, all the weight is up front on a Renegade without a frame so it might plow. What I am waiting for, Blue, is for you to try your gasser on your Assault XX with the portable motor mount. That's going to make a difference in my next purchase. Thanks;-)
  13. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    Will get on that as soon as I can. With lotsa pixs. The motor mount isn't whimmpy. Strap it down with boat not fully inflated then top it off makes the motor mount pretty solid.