Anyone Read The New Sea-run Cutthroat Book By Chester Allen

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Mar 26, 2012.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

Has anyone read this new book? Any impressions in comparison to Les Johnson's book.
    Thanks
    Josh

2. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

I am reading it now.I havnt read les Johnson's book,but Chester's book seems to be very well written and easy to follow.Sorry i couldnt help more.

3. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Almost done with Chester's book. Well written, and super informative. I'd reccomend it for sure.

4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'm reading it now too. It's a good read and he writes well. He drops some facts that don't seem to jibe well with other books/articles I've read (Les's book being 1, or more of them) but I haven't done the research to confirm that. But, it is informative, easy to read & understand and a good resource to add to the mix. I wouldn't substitute for Les's book at all, but would include it as a resource. Along with occasional tidbits from Roger S. and Steve R. and other guys here that clearly have valuable experience & insight. Buy both books and start a notebook of pertinent threads and articles and patterns and maps and any other tender nuggets you come across.
    It's another journey.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Who carries it; Amazon? I'm in the middle of Les's book right now.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

The book is almost entirely about fishing cutthroat in salt water, the few brief references to river fishing are mostly about fishing flesh flies and egg patterns (yuk).

I mention this because, when I was growing up, sea-run cutthroat fishing was almost entirely a river activity, fishing for 'harvest trout" in the late summer and fall. Fishing for them in salt water was only practised by a very, very small number of anglers, usually trolling along the beaches with a Dick Nite (or similar) spoon. Now, of course,
    that has completely reversed and it is my impression that that the overwhelming percentage of cutthroat fishermen are fishing the salt; I rarely encounter anyone fishing the rivers during the traditional season (especially during the week). While I am quite happy with this situation, I find this flip-flop rather interesting and, as Les Johnson expressed to me a few years back, I, too have become at least a little concerned about the amount of ceaseless, year-round fishing pressure to which the cutthroat are being subjected. This is, of course, more applicable in the South Sound and Hood Canal where cutthroat seem to spend a greater portion of their yearly cycle in the salt and lack the sanctuary offered by their extended stays in the larger North Sound rivers.

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Historically, around Kitsap County, for which I have lived around 60 years now, sea run cutthroat in the salt was quite popular, probably unlike the eastside toward Seattle. It was quite popular in the lower Hood Canal also.

8. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Your local fly shop.......

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Found mine at the Alderwood Barnes & Noble in Lynnwood. There were two.

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I got mine through Amazon about a month ago. I found the information about the tides to be very useful and was surprised to see myself in the book as Chester and I are friends. I'll be seeing him in the near future and will have him autograph mine as I did with Les Johnson's book a couple of years ago when he and his wife attended a flyswap at my place in Dash Point. Both books are excellent in their own right and if you are a salt water fisherman, you owe it to yourself to purchase your own copies and read them thoroughly.

11. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Media:
    Home Page:
    Chester used to post on here like two-three years ago...reports and such.

12. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    I met Chester at Peninsula Outfitter's book signing. He's a soft spoken guy with a serious passion for flyfishing and cutthroat in particular. I enjoyed his presentation and bought his book. I think it is well written and had a great chapter on polychaete worms in particular that I enjoyed. I think its a great addition to any cutthroat anglers collection of literature. It is a really nice addition to my library and one I will reread over the years.

13. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I've read a few chapters, and really enjoy it. In addition to the chapter on polychaete worms, I liked the way he describes the process of finding and learning different beaches. The emphasis is on the "deep south sound" area near Olympia, and I'm now studying maps to locate likely spots within kayak range of boat launches and access points. Any book that gets you doing stuff like that is well worth the price!

In addition to Allen's new book, I have all three versions of Les Johnson's cutthroat books, and also Steve Raymond's book on Estuary Fly Fishing. All of these are very valuable resources and capture the spirit of sea-run fishing in the Sound.

I agree with Preston that we need to start thinking about protecting sea-runs during their spawning period. We can do a lot of this now ourselves by protecting these locations, not fishing at times when the fish are most vulnerable, and practicing good release techniques. When I run into a large group of fish waiting to spawn, or a bunch of small fish that will whack anything, I use a self-imposed limit of 12 hookups. After the twelfth fish, I sit on a log, enjoy the view, and appreciate a great day.

dryflylarry likes this.
  14. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Wowsa.... Just found this thread while replying to the thread about Doug Rose's chum and cutthroat seminar last weekend.

Thanks to all for your kind words about my words. Truthfully, this book would have never happened without the help of many friends, including Leland, Steve Saville -- a quietly innovative tier of great flies -- Bob Triggs, my great friend Greg Cloud and so many others. I apologized to Preston last weekend about the egg and flesh fly stuff. :) Preston is a great guy, and his slide show about sea-run cutts was lyrical. That said, Joe Jauquet's terrific seminar on sea-run cutthroat diet during the weekend showed how cutts chow down on salmon eggs. I've caught lots of cutts eating eggs in saltwater -- as the eggs washed out of a stream into Puget Sound.

Anyway, thanks to all of you, and please contact me if you have any questions about the book.

Tight lines!

15. Preston

Preston Active Member

Chester,
    I truly hope my remarks about flesh flies and egg patterns didn't offend. It's my opinion that the sea-run cutthroat in the north Puget Sound rivers in the late summer and fall offers the finest "trout' fishing that western Washington has to offer and I'm simply in love with fishing trouty patterns for them. I'm even beginning to feel less enthusiastic about fishing spiders and, if I could only find the confidence, I'd might try to spend a whole season fishing dries for them.

I really enjoyed chatting with you this weekend.

16. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Preston,
    I also enjoyed our talks this weekend -- perhaps we'll get to fish together next time we meet.

Your comments didn't offend at all, so no worries there. I agree with you about cutts and North Sound rivers in the late summer and fall. During my years at the University of Oregon, I loved fishing fall cutts in Oregon's coastal streams. In fact, I still love doing this. These fish, whether they are in salt or fresh water, are Northwest icons, and I love them.

I once tried to spend an entire summer just fishing dry flies for redsides on the Deschutes, but I was worthless and weak, so I soon found myself eagerly tying on a tiny Pheasant Tail nymph one morning when the trout were searching for nymphs during the PMD hatch.

We're lucky to have these fish!

17. EHB86

EHB86 Member

I bought it at my local fly shop a couple months ago and found it to be a great complement to Les's book. I really like the discussion of different beaches, simple explanations of things to watch for and the breakdown of sections in to different seasons.

18. South Sound

South Sound Member

I ended up winning it in a raffle at Doug Rose's Cutts and Chum Seminar. Got it and it is awesome. I could not put it down. Thanks Chester for signing it too.