Anyone running textured or sharkskin SA line?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Aug 26, 2012.

1. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    After wishing with every cast I had a dedicated sinking line because of the wind, but loving the textured SA lines, I was wondering if anyone was running one of their options out here for SRC's, salmon, and/or steel head? I have been looking at the following:

Clear textured with a 1-2ips sink rate:
    http://buy.scientificanglers.com/li...tery-textured-series-saltwater-clear-tip.html

Streamer express with a 5-8 ips:
    http://buy.scientificanglers.com/li...mastery-textured-series-streamer-express.html

Any input would be awesome.

2. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

I have used all those lines. For pure sinking ability, it's hard to beat the Rio Lake deep 7. However, that line doesn't perform very well in salt water. Gets very sticky so you have to keep it clean, but it's still my preferred line for targeting rockfish and salmon on my 6wt. It shoots very well too. For heavier lines in the 350 grain area, I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the SA SE, Skarkskin, and Rio Striper but if I had my choice I'd pick the Striper line. I usually load up on them over the winter when they go on sale.

3. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Thanks Joe. So you feel like the shark skin/textured is a gimmick? I sure feel like it zips through the eyelets. Does the Rio deep 7 sink too fast for targeting SRC's/Salmon from the beach?

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Probably 95% of the people beach fishing are fishing either a floater or intergrated intermediate lines.
    Rio Outbound Short, SA Streamer Express and Airflo 40 + all make integrated intermediate lines. Wulff does as well. You'll limit out quickly on seaweed, rocks, sculpins and flounders on most beaches using a Deep 7.
    For years I just used a Cortland 10' sink tip and caught plenty of fish. Once you start fishing an intergrated line, chances are good you'll never use anything else.
    If you fish a textured line in the salt, make sure to tape your fingers or wear a stripping glove unless you enjoy bleeding by the end of the day.;)

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Good succinct advice. Another reason to get the integrated line is that it would make a great bass line.

6. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

Media:
    Yeah you should see my fingers. My floating 7wt is textured. It sears the fingers.

7. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Yes, beach fishing or fishing from a boat against a shallow shoreline is totally different as noted above, and for those applications I prefer lines with the factory loop and I fish a clear intermediate sink tip or change to a floater or deeper tip if necessary. As for the textured lines, I find the guide striping sound annoying. They do cut your fingers but I usually tape my fingers anyway. The sharkskin I used this year at Neah for rockfish was very stiff and tangled almost as much as a Deep 7. As for distance, maybe a slight advantage over non-textured, but nothing significant in my view.