Anyone Shooting CZ-USA Shotguns?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by colehatch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. colehatch

colehatch Member

Being a lefty it's difficult and expensive to find shotguns with left or neutral cast. One lower priced gun I shoot is a Verona which is neutral cast. I'm looking to add a reasonably priced 20 ga SXS to the collection for this fall and was curious if anyone is shooting CZ guns. If so how do you like them and what kind of cast do they have?

Thanks!

2. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Cole,

Ive only been bird hunting for a couple years now. I started with a wing master for my first couple of seasons. And then last season I bought a CZ Red Head Deluxe 26" 12G. And I love it. I'm not experienced enough to tell you what the cast of the gun is. But I will say I am a southpaw as well and I shoot the gun just fine. I hunt a lot, and pretty hard just like any bird junky. The gun has performed very well for me and any fault has been that of the shooter haha. Hopefully they are a brand that can work for you. I have only good things to say.

-Blake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

Cole -

As a left eye dominent shooter (right handed though) I'd like to recommend a few other ways to go.

1. If you are getting into this to the point that you are paying attention to cast I'd recommend a gun fitting and shooting lesson. Contact AA Claybusters. Tony and Maureen are top notch. Having the empirical numbers really helps in the shopping / negotiation process.

2. CZ and most Turkish guns are super solid. You might also want to check out Ivory Beads (web site). They had guns made by Kommando Arms in Turkey. Kommando also produced S&W Gold Elite guns. If you can find either of those they'd be superior values compared to the CZ. I know what the Kommando Arm round bodies are FOB Turkey, and what they should go for here in the States - which is easily $3K. If you dig you should be able to find them for under $1,500.

3 Look at used doubles. Ivory Beads, Hill Rod & Gun, Willoughby & McCabe, and Guns International are all great places to start. A used English boxlock will be far superior to anything on the market in that price range. Many of the better Spanish guns will be in that same range. A fine English double will handle like a production 20 gauge gun, simplifying your ammo needs and giving you that same carriability. My lightest English 12 gauge guns weigh right at about 6 pounds, and I only feed them 1 ounce, 1250fps loads. 125fps loads is all that I ever shoot anyway - no need to go faster once you understand the ballistics of shot.

4. Once you have those dimensions from your fitting you can often have a used gun's stock bent by the shop selling it without charge. Keep in mind that triggers may be the other thing to trip you up. Depending on how the triggers are positioned and how your finger lays on the front trigger you could be doubling when you shoot the first barrel. Those same shops can adjust the triggers for you. A true bespoke left hand double has cast for a left handed shooter, triggers flipped, chokes flipped, and the top lever opens to the left. They are very, very rare on the used market and most places consider a left hand gun to have cast on, with no consideration of the rest.

5. In my case - if I am buying a used right hand gun - I restock the guns (I used to do this professionally) have the gun's triggers flipped and either have the gun's barrels re choked if constrictions will allow or have Briley thin walled choke tubes installed.

Fell free to PM me.

MG

4. Doug G

Doug G Member

A few years back, I bought a CZ Ringneck 20ga sxs. It was beautifully finished inside and out. It was also a POS mechanically. They come with a 5 year warranty. When I took it to the range, it quit firing after 10 rounds. I sent it back, and they sent me a new one. I took this one to the range and it lasted 9 rounds before it quit firing. Sent it back and they sent me a new one. I took this to my friend's gun store and sold it at a loss. Lesson learned. After that, I bought a Beretta o/u--it didn't fit me, so I sold it to another friend. I now have an RBL-28 sxs made by Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company in the USA. More money, but also much more gun and it works flawlessly....

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I bought a used Bobwhite from a friend. Safety didn't block the right barrel (front) trigger; called CZ & they fixed it for free. Kids & I have put several hundred rounds thru it at clays this summer. I'm a lefty & I shoot it as well (or as poorly, depending on one's perspective) as any of my other several-many shotties. I also have a CZ Hammer-Coach that has seen a lot of rounds without a hitch . . . with light 12-gauge loads, it's a hoot (and a great grouse gun in thick cover).

6. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    im still putting many loads thru my redhead deluxe without a hitch. its a great gun. I recently recieved a CZ 550 which is their 30-06. hopefully it performs as well for big game as my shotgun has for birds!

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Cole, I shot a 20ga Ringneck for quite awhile until I got my hammergun. Solid side by side, no complaints whatever. Would I get another one? You bet!

8. ribka

ribka Active Member

You'll enjoy your CZ 550. I have one in 6.5x55 and very accurate dependable rifle. Have been looking at the CZ 20 ga SXS

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I have one DeHaan 12 gauge over and under and two CZ Bobwhites (sxs) in matching 12 and 20 gauge. The CZ's shoot right where I look but I had to raise the comb of the DeHaan up 1/4th inch. There's add on pads for that purpose.

The CZ's are relatively new and not shot much. The DeHaan is about 10 years old and a solid performer. For the price it was a excellent buy.

CZs and DeHaans are Huglus.

10. colehatch

colehatch Member

THanks for all the input. I ended up finding a a good deal on a Verona 20 O\U which is what I was after originally.