Anyone stayed at Melia Cabo Real?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kpsully, Jan 13, 2013.

1. kpsully

kpsully Member

Going on a family trip the first week of February. Any advice would be great. It's equidistant from Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Nearby Beaches? Panga Captains? I'll bring a 10 wt and Spin setup.

2. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

You are right in the corridor so most likely you will have to go into the marina in Cabo if you want to book a Panga or try and arrange something in San Jose. You can always try Baja Anglers too if you want to try and hook on to some roosters. Waves are big in the corridor and most likely you won't be heaving any flies from the beach there, but not impossible if you want to watch the sun rise and give it a go. Lots of information on the internet, enjoy the sun!

3. Rodney Bryan

Rodney Bryan Rodney Bryan

I stayed at that hotel this time last year, and there are some fishing opportunities at the beach directly behind the hotel (you have full access from the hotel). There are several miles of beach access, and you will see fish activity (bait fish and rooster fish) right in the surf. They will be some locals on the beach fishing (at least when I was there). They had long surf rods and they were casting live bait, I saw several fish caught over the week I was there. I spent time drinking adult beverages watching them fish (I brought no gear :()

I went gear fishing out of San Jose, and I saw some huge tuna caught. I caught two large dolphins and about 8 bonitas. Fishing out of San Jose was less expensive than out of cabo. Do not book your fishing via the hotel, you can go to either Cabo or San Jose the day before and get a better deal. Get a boat that is chartered per hour not person, and it will be relatively inexpensive excursion. See if another guest at the hotel wants to join you, and more money saved on the excursion.

4. Home Skillet

Home Skillet New Member

Ya, real tough to get a panga in the corridor. you might acutally have some luck right off the beach though. I've hooked toro and some huge needlefish from that stretch.