Anyone up for some Pass Lake action tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jeremy Floyd, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I was going to go today but I didnt get done with what I needed to do until now so I think I will go tomorrow instead. I dont want to feel rushed.

2. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    When you going?

3. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    I am planning on being there all day.

4. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    I spent the night tying up 6 of each of white/olive/rust colored Zonkers and a few really heavy nymphs.

I should be up there about 7AM. If you see a tan and reed camo tube with some joker in a blue Simms Rivertek Jacket, or a silver VW Passat that is me. Say hi and get a brew for your effort! :beer2:

5. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    Gettin a late start.. Helped the wife with a sick kiddo last night and needed some beauty sleep.

6. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    I'll be up there on Saturday....

7. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    It was fun. I ended up getting 6 in, lost 4, and broke off one.

The biggest was 21", I got a 20", 18", 15", and two 12-13" and they were all rainbows. I should have some pics showing up sometime soon.

I caught two of the little ones on a white zonker with fluoro oj nose and a red beard.

The rest I caught on size 12 Carey Specials I fished about 30 inches behind the zonker.

The one that I broke off hit that carey special the instant it hit the water right up on top and I kind of got excited and overzealous because the swirl was massive and I could see at least the top half of 20 inches of fish sticking out of the water (i had only caught small fish so far that day) and the combination of me, jumping/lifting the rod/pretty much jerking his face off, snapped my 6x tippet on the dropper.

Screwing that up made me laugh though... Once I quit crying

Everyone I saw getting ready this morning was using some sort of white bug. I saw bunny leeches and maribou leeches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Subtlety:
    If you're fishing a Carey, it makes no sense to use a tippet as light as a 6X. I never use a tippet less than a 4X when fishing subsurface. I like to be able to retrieve my flies from snags and not break off lunkers.

BTW, is that Carey hackled with something other than a pheasant rump feather? It almost looks like someone used pheasant tail fibers. If it is, then that fly is more a "Don't Ask" variant.

9. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Hope you smashed the barbs.;) I,m guilty as hell for not smashing until I'm on the water.

Daryle

10. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    It is actually the feathers right next to the tail feathers that are really long and wispy but just about the same color brown on the tail of the fly and then tail feathers on the hackle. @edit@Yeah you are right I just woke up from a nap and misread your reply the first time. The rump feathers are the tail of my fly and the hackle is tail feathers. (yawn)

I have pliers in my waders and I dont smash them down ever until I tie up because not all waters are barbless.

I used 6x because these tiemco hooks I used have super tiny eye's for some reason and 4x BARELY makes it through and if you are a line biter like me (even though I have clippers on retractables on the front of my jacket) it wont got through at all.

11. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    I think the whole white thing is being a overdone at pass. in late oct and early nov i fished 6 days and used light colored flies quite a bit. by far the best producers were black WB's and black and maroon leeches. not saying i won't be carrying white flies but it seems thats all some people use anymore.
    by the way, in 6 days on the water i caught no browns, nada. usually it's about 50/50 for me at pass. something is odd right now.

12. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    I was fishing within 150 yds of three other guys most of the day and I didnt see a single brown caught either.

13. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    My buddy and I fished Pass last Saturday. Total fish caught 20some bows including 1big brown I stuck hanging out on the edge of the grass. This was my first trip to Pass and fish were tagging our fly’s as we stripped them from the bank.

14. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

Pass Lake Saturday, Browns and Bows! My buddy hooked up on one of the biggest Browns I have see in a while.:thumb: :thumb: