Anyone use a flip seat bracket?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Rather than drill to mount a low back seat, or sit on a sliding cooler pad, does anyone use one of these flip seat brackets? Is it a PITA to flip the seat forward to get into the cooler? Is it a good design for keeping your cooler from getting four holes drilled and sealed? Now that I've got a cooler in my rower's bay I'm probably going to just sit on the cooler until I figure out a way to get the low back seat back into play. Thanks for your thoughts.

[​IMG]

2. Jim Wheeler

Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Home Page:
    I wouldn't think it would be tough at all. We put a swivel on the bottom of our low back seats when we put them on a hatched lid seat box. And then you would thru bolt the swivel to the lid of the cooler which I would assume is either hollow or has foam inside. Either way I would back plate the whole thing. To answer your question I would doubt very seriously that it would be a pain to get into the cooler. I would think you might tip over the cooler depending on how it's secured. Also moount the cooler so that when you lean back you don't open the cooler lid. Dn't laugh it's not a very fun ride when the lid opens. Let me know if you need a lighter seat than the metal seatpan versions. We saved about 4 1/2# switching to a fiberglass seat pan.

Jim Wheeler
    Sprin Creek Prams

3. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    One thing to keep in mind with the flip seats, is that you do sit quite a bit higher.

I don't know if you have the 6 or 8" oar stands, but you'll want the latter so you clear your legs .

You'll want to cam strap the cooler to keep it closed either way. If you do that it won't open even with the seat on the lid.

4. Ed Call

Media:
    Very good points. Just pondering it right now. I've got a new cooler that I don't want to drill through. I"ve got the loop straps to hold it down. It sits in a cooler mount and is pinned between two cross bars. I also have an oar riser assembly that can elevate my oar locks much higher than I should ever need. Thank you both!

5. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    FWIW I've never had an issue sitting/rowing on a cooler that has a nice cover of Ethafoam.

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Good and inexpensive point. Is the foam held in place by the loop straps or do you glue it down, hook and loop closure or some other method (besides my fat ass!).

7. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    I've always glued it to the lid, and never had an issue with it coming off. I have some coolers with it that are 10+ years old.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mumbles, you won't have a problem with them. If you have to, I do believe NRS sells taller oar towers you can bolt on. But my last big cataraft was designed with rowers seat being just the cooler (don't need no whimpy seat on it, sheesh). ;)

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, and onto the flip seat. I've never owned one, but have used one. I didn't have a problem with it.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here's a picture of my old 16' with my fishing frame. Setup for 4 in this configuration (front seat had a slider where I could add 1 or 2 seats). You can see my rowers seat was my cooler/fishbox/storage. Just used it as is, no padded seat added.
    [​IMG]

You can see it a little better in this view.

[​IMG]

11. Ed Call

Media:
    I have been tying flies while sitting on the cooler, it is comfortable enough to sit on for long stretches I guess. I just have the low back rower's seat that is pretty damn comfortable. To not use it seems foolish. To drill holes in a cooler to mount it seems foolish. To buy another bracket to mount it to use it and not drill holes in a cooler seems foolish. What is the common denominator? Mumbles is foolish and full of questions.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ed, if you only plan to use the cooler for the raft, drill holes in it and mount seat to it. Not foolish, practical. Just remember, you're jacking yourself up even MORE with the seat. So must have the clearance. On one of my old 12' boats, I had the seat setup like the one above. Except the cooler was up front on passenger seat, and I had a swivel seat mounted to it. Don't have any pics of that one unfortunately. Pre digital and long story about most of my old pics. :(

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Jerry, thank you for your help. There have been a handful of really experienced watercraft folks that have taught so many of us as we try to get up and running safely on the water. I should have told you that with my oar tower configuration I can vary the width between and height of the oar locks so that is not a concern. Just a matter of time to find the most comfortable place. For now I think sitting on the cooler is the best place to start. From there I'll have a number of other options.

14. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles- I have that cooler and if I remember correctly, you can purchase replacement lids.

15. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    You can purchase replacement parts for just about any Igloo cooler, that's one of the strong selling points for them.

16. AndreD

AndreD Member

Or grab one from the side of the hiway. Down here there a dime a dozen this time of year

17. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    The seats on my raft flip forward, using a custom-built bracket and tie-down straps. You'll see in a couple of days. My cooler fits under the rower's seat, or in the frame in front (where two can sit on it). The flip brackets make sense and improve access.

18. Ed Call

Media:
    Derek, I'm looking forward to seeing, fishing from and even rowing the Green Drake. See you there.

19. Riverman

Riverman Member

My opinion... if I needed a cooler too.

Sitting on a cooler with no back support would do me in pretty fast. Those NRS rowing seats are so comfortable, I'd have to mount the rowing seat on top of the cooler and be real happy.

20. Ed Call

Media:
    As fate would have it I'll be fishing with friend and stealthy fishing guide Derek Young Thursday and Friday. I hope to row my first raft for a bit, he has a 13' Streamtech Green Drake. He uses one of the flip seat brackets so I'll get to check it out too. I've got an older cooler that I did drill, backplate and mount the NRS seat to, but the bigger full bay filling cooler is new and I don't want to drill it if I can avoid it. With my oar risers and their adjustability I will gladly trade an inch or two of height for the comfort of that NRS seat. I know that lots of WW folks love the pads on their coolers. My NRS low back rowing seat sure has made my back side comfortable! More to learn this week and more to ponder.