Anyone use an Echo Ion in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Saw an Echo Ion for just a few over $200 and was looking at maybe that since I am on the look out for a 10wt. Has anyone used one in the upper weight class and have any input or views on them as a saltwater rod?

Thanks!
    J

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Just got a #7 recently to replace a slow Albright #8/9. Set it up with a #7 SA GPX floater and an Outbound intermediate. Seems to work OK but I haven't landed anything yet. They are a little heavy in the butt. Mine is 2 oz. heavier than the Albright (4 vs. 6 oz.) and all of it was in the butt section. I'm heading out after some Chum later. I'll let you know if I get to test its fish-on capabilities!

3. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

As Dennis said, they are a little heavy in the back due to the rubberized cork in the handle. but the rod itself is a very powerful blank that would fall into a moderate-fast category. I know the price is right on these, but check out the Echo 3 too. That thing is a feather.

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If your options are open, also check out the Echo 2 Salt that looks like it was discontinued with the 3 taking its place. The 2 is saltwater proven and is super nice with 2 tips of "distance" and "accuracy", I say that cause I got one in a 6wt. You can get them for the same price of the Eon.
    Have fun.

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
  6. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, I don't know. This upcoming trip to Hawai'i is getting more and more expensive as I prepare and gear up for it. The gear alone is more than my flights- round trip. Redics.

I recently saw one for sale, brand new with case, 4pc, for $165 shipped to the 48. I keep hearing how heavy it is, but weighing it (no pun intended) in price compared to the BVK-my original choice- it's hard to pick. The BVK hasn't had any negative reviews that I can come across, yet the Ion is a little heavy.

How heavy is heavy though?
    Unbearable, annoying, or just ''more heavy than I thought''?

7. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

It was surprising at first but that's now turned to just more heavy than I thought. Haven't had a chance to fish it that much, but I practice at a field just down the street. First few times my hand and back told me I'd had a bit of a workout after a half hour or so. Now it's not as bad.

8. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
  9. Porter

Porter Active Member

Why don't you check out the gear program here and see if you can check out some items to use on your trip.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gear/ Never mind, just noticed you were not local....my bad.

10. Tejano

Tejano Member

Make sure it isn't last minute gearitus. I have succumbed to this numerous times and still do. In general I go for quality and the less is more approach when I can. A loaner rod might be a good option. If you get a 10wt. you will want a worthy reel and a couple of lines, this will easily exceed the cost of the rod. I have only parking lot cast an Echo Rod and I thought it was surprisingly good for the price. Didn't notice the weight much and that can be compensated for some with a lighter reel.

Guess I just muddied the water a bit.