Anyone used these fancy rio anti twist spey swivels?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Sep 12, 2013.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +775 / 0
    [IMG]
    I've always wanted to spend $10 on a swivel and now I can! I have ruined two running lines after a full season's use because they end up twisting so bad that the coating comes off of the core. It's a real nasty pain in the rear when trying to manage the line as well.

Anyone used these? I just picked up a set and will give it a go.
  2. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    Yeah, they work great on my spinning rod when bass fishing.

Seriously, what's wrong with a standard swivel if you're going to use one? Sure, they're not loaded with loop to loop technology...
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    What twists up? Does the fly spin on the end of the line or is it continual roll casting?
  4. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Rio slickshooter 9.99
  5. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +518 / 1
    Berkeley Big Game Solar Collector Green 40# 370 yard spool.... Wait for it...

$8.95
  6. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    4 running lined
  7. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Yeah I spool it on my reels 150' at a time and cut out any bad spots from line twist (more of a problem with sinking heads for me) and tie another perfection loop and keep fishin. It has more memory then something like amnesia but a little stretching by hand as I work line out and it's good to go. Been almost a year running it, no issues. Really strong, handles great and it practically glows.
  8. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,788 / 0
    In thirty plus years of fishing with a two handed rod I have never had problems with line twist.
    flybill and sopflyfisher like this.
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,788 / 0
    Ha! that is what I used to use for the big king snag fest on the Samish. I will explain someday but it has to do with the its visibility.
  10. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    You can spend ten dollars on one of those, or you could just stretch your line. I haven't run into this with spey casting, though I haven't been doing it for very long.

I run into the twisty lines with my beach fishing though; when I'm fishing 5 or 6 days a week during salmon season, the line can get some pretty nasty kinks in it. So about once a week I'll just pull out all the line on my parking strip, and then follow Rio's suggestion for stretching the line. It straightens out the coating around the core. After a stretch, the line casts like a dream.

Of course, if I catch a fish that takes me into the backing, that can often be stretch enough.

This is all on my single hander, so maybe it doesn't apply. But I would imagine it's the same idea.

J
  11. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    Like others have stated, I've never had any twisting problem. Historically what has ruined my running lines is pulling on them to free up a snag or break off a fly hung on the bottom. Fly line is low stretch, but there is still stretch, (not as much in some these days) and using it to break 10# Maxima will take its toll.

I don't know what constitutes a season for you but when I used to fish 100+ days a year I would go through several a year. In fact I used to keep a couple in the truck just in case. And this includes turning them around after the first 50' was cracked and worn. The two hander has alleviated some of the wear and tear on them because I'm no longer double hauling on them but the snags will always be there.

Rather than treat the symptom, it would be best to cure the illness. Why is your line twisting? I'm thinking it has to be your flies. Put a swivel near your leader or fly...
    Flyborg and Chris Johnson like this.
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +355 / 1
    If you're into swivels, you can make them a whole lot cheaper than 3/$10.00. Try going to Sportsmans Warehouse and buying the 30 or 40 lb. swivels and then you can use either braided loops or backing on either side to place the swivel between the running line and shooting head. They do work in my experience but aren't becessary. Just another thing someone invented to catch your fancy and grab your money.
  13. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    Delam usually occurs because the coating is much stretchier than the core and when you yard on snags enough times, eventually the coating gives. I've never had issues with line twist, although I've talked to a few guys who claim to.
    kabar likes this.
  14. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +775 / 0

Yeah i'm not sure what my problem is. I've ruined three running lines in two years. I probably fish 150 days in a given season. This last rio shooting line kinked up like a old telephone cord and when I yarded it on a 20lb salmon it delaminated and ripped apart in a couple of difference sections. That really made casting for the rest of the day a lot of fun.

I also had a similar problem with the rio miracle braid where it spun up enough to form a lot of little kinks that made line management a real bitch. finally, it formed enough kinks to where I tossed it.

I've used mono running lines like the slick shooter and these seem to work better - but I honestly like the miracle braid or a thicker shooter line over the course of the day.

I'll probably give these magical swivels a shot and see what happens. I fish a variety of flies so I don't think it's the fly moving in the water causing the problem. It probably has something to do with my weird spey casting style.

whoooooo knows.
  15. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    One problem is the way you manage running line.

Imagine putting away a garden hose. If you indiscriminately loop it in a pile its a pain in the ass and gets all "hogfucked." But if you pay attention to the natural curl of the hose (memory) you'll find there is a proper way to neatly roll it up. Running line is similar. This is tough to explain but if you grab your running line with your palm out and flip it around each time (palm out - palm in) you form a loop you'll notice that all your loops are hanging neatly below your hands. No twisting. Just like storing an extension cord, climbing rope, garden hose or any other piece of line.

The more line your managing (skagit heads) the more you are twisting up your running line and eventually the whole thing is a mess. I'm lazy but I guarantee there is a youtube video somewhere for tips on wrapping climbing rope. Same thing... it's weird at first but it helps a ton. I do it sort of naturally because of my line of work. You learn a lot by observing salty old commercial fishermen ;)
  16. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    ^I agree with the above. When I first started with two handers I got so many tangles in my running line because I didn't understand how to coil it. Once I mastered the rotating my hand position thing it was all milk and honey from then on.

Deneki Outdoors has a video about how to properly coil running line in the "loops vs. coils" method. Its on Youtube, check it out. As for swivels, I find I get the most line twist on my streamer rods from retrieving it. So I added a big barrel swivel connected with looped #40 mono and then I run my leader off of that. Cost me maybe 30 cents and does the job.
    JesseC likes this.
  17. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0

JesseC and Sean Beauchamp like this.
  18. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0
    That was interesting, thanks for pointing it out troutdope. I do something completely different. And probably wrong as well. I strip all the line in (leaving the strips in the water, basically as one big loop) and then pickup the end of the loop and make my cast. I found the loop end made the most drag, so picking it up made things easier. I'm going to practice the old climbers trick though. Looks cool.
  19. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Embarrassed to say, I just learned how to properly manage running line last year as I wasn't achieving the distances I wanted on the OP. I typically won't even hold the running line as most the rivers I fish don't require long casts, but boy, once you figure it out and get that running line out of the water, your casting distance greatly improves.

Interesting product, I'm not sure i've had issues with kinked running line. I'm guessing these issues only exist with mono type running lines. I can see how this would develop lines like the slick shooter as it's almost a tape/flat line rather than round.
  20. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Well there you go... Thanks deneki.

Any running line will eventually twist and begin to kink it's a given but how quickly depends on your line management. I run mono because its cheap, shoots the best, and if anything compromises it I can cut it and tie a new perfection loop in about 60 seconds and be fishing again confidently. If you step on your ridge line half way through a float, you're gonna have to get a little creative.