NFR Anyone willing to teach shotgun shooting?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Gary Knowels, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I have a couple of shotguns that were left to me in when my grandpa passed. I've shot them both a few times, taking 5 grouse with them. Both are 12 gauges, 1 pump action, 1 semi that my grandpa and his best friend used to hunt grouse and waterfowl with. I never really learned to shoot them properly. This doesn't mean I am ignorant of safe gun handling, as I am well versed with a rifle. However, I would love it if a guy could teach me a few things about proper shotgunning as I've never even attempted to shoot trap. I would bring my gun(s) and provide my own ammo, although input as to what shot to use would be nice.

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    A trip to the Kenmore gun range on a Saturday or Sunday might give some help. Lots of helpful members there.

3. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I'd recommend Skeet over trap.

GBeeman

4. Gary Knowels

Media:
    I'm not even sure of the difference. All I really would like to do is build a working skill set to possibly chase some bird in the future with the ability to hit something flying.

5. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

In Trap the birds mostly fly away from you. In Skeet they come at you and away from you at various angles. Trap is more like jump shooting birds and Skeet does that and has passing shots.

GBeeman

6. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I'd start a new shooter out on trap before I'd have them trying to hit a station 8 skeet bird. Also trying to shoot doubles would compound things for a new shooter.

7. martyg

martyg Active Member

Rather than assume that the person who is instructing you knows what they are doing you'd be well advised to hook up with Tony and Maureen at AA Claybusters for lessons.

Shooting, like paddling a canoe / kayak or learning to ski, throwing a fly is a highly technical skill. The good news is that there are few things that you have to do to become proficient at any of those, and that the better that you can do those few things the better your skill set and level of ability will be.

We tend to (especially on the West Coast) either think we come out of the womb possessing the knowledge to excel at these sports or rely on friends / family members to instruct us - when they may just know a little bit more then we as beginners know, and when they probably have no idea on correct form / execution.

A random person at a gun club could definitely get you started. However more then likely you'll end up with a ton of bad habits that you'll spend time, energy and range fees unlearning at some point in the future. Guaranteed that in 90 minutes with a good instructor who has pursued professional certification through on of many organizations you will progress more than months on your own.

Dave Alberts likes this.
  8. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Solid advise from Marty...!

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Gary, I teach instinctive shotgunning occasionally, and the first thing I check is if the weapon fits properly. There's a ton of competent folks who can check this issue, and I'd start there. If the fit works, then follow Marty's advice, then once you're hitting your bird, you can fine-tune the gun by patterning and working up custom loads with different components that'll bring out the best in the gun. It's a lot of fun, rewarding, and a great hobby, BUT... if you get "hooked" on fine scatterguns, you'll eventually gravitate to the double gun. Whatever you do, never go into a high-end gun shop with your wallet and checkbook (NOT a good thing:D).

10. Will Crowley

Will Crowley New Member

Ditto Kenmore Gun Range, but don't just rely on helpful members. Sign up for the "Break More Birds" class. They offer it on a regular basis, there will be a sign in the shop when the next one is offered. Best $25 you will spend. The instructors are all good. First thing they do is see if your gun fits. By the end of the class, you'll have the basics.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    I wish I'd known about that class the 30-some years I was a member at Kenmore. I sent them a withdrawal letter when I moved over here.

Or Gary, you could be taught by someone like me and have years of trying to break bad habits. One tip, learn to shoot with both eyes open.

12. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Execellent points by all above. Having a shotgun that fits makes a tremendous difference. The point about Skeet was a good one. It is like diving in head first if you don't have some experience, and station eight can be intimidating until you get it figured out. I also second the recommendations for instruction.

GBeeman

13. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    One more news bit. Kenmore only has trap and 5 stand. Skeet is at Renton and Seattle Trap and Skeet (out by 5 corners and not in Seattle)

14. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into the kenmore option as its only 5 minutes from my house. Also the AA claybusters looks like a great program.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

15. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I agree, take instruction from instructors so you can get off to the right start. I was going to suggest a similar beginning class offered at various dates at the Tacoma Sportsman's Club but if Kenmore is closer that would be the best. The only suggestion I can offer is to stay focused on the fun aspect, a lot of folks evolve their shooting to getting higher and higher scores and lose sight of the fun and play that it can be. My best shooting is when I'm with a few friends and we really "focus" on the guy who is shooting the best. The wheels of his shooting usually come off pretty quick.