Are these a food sorce?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Clint F, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

Zach, how do you break your collar bone? I guess you are out of fishing for a while?

Clint
  2. Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

There's a pattern I that I think'd work quite well for that called the v-worm. I've seen the pattern listed in a book I highly recommend called Fly Fishing the Pacific Inshore, also on various websites. it's not as thick as those worms, but it looks about as close as I think a fly could get to one of those.
  3. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +653 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

Yes the fish will eat them.

Sounds like a good excuse to sit down at the vice and go wild. Tie something and give it a shot - should have good time experimenting and you might surprise yourself.

There are any number of "worm" type patterns out there. The bass fishing circle has a number of attempts to mimic worms that probable would work. As suggested I think I would go with rabbit strip leeches in the 3 to 6 inch range; maybe a # 4 hook with the strip as a "tail", a dubbed body and a dash of weight at the head. An alternate "tail" could be a marabou plume that has been spiraled wrapped with piece of thread - should give you that thin buggy segmented look with nice action in the water.

Have fun
    Curt
  4. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

Jim Kerr (former owner of PT Angler) developed a pattern intended to mimic this and similar marine worms...the Jim Dandy (formerly known as Snot Dart). Whether it does or not is debatable, but it does catch fish--it's my go-to fly for the northern Sound and Canal.
  5. Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Port Orchard,WA
    Are these a food sourse?

Thanks guys for the help. I will post pictures of what I come up with later.

Clint
  6. herl Member

the other washington
    Are these a food sourse?

Anyone who knows..

How long does this 'hatch' last? Any particular type of beach/location?
  7. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

are these worms anything like a piling worm?
    do they have mouth like the one in the movie "dune"
    anyways as kids we would collect these worms from under rocks and on pilings
    the perch would just go nuts for them
    old timer told me he would use pile worms drifted under the skansi dock and would pull in large cutties
    so...
  8. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

Ever hear of the word "tide" or "tidal zones"? :ray1:

:clown:
  9. SilverFly Ancient Steelhead Sensei

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

I know I've posted this before, - but all I have lately is reliving old fishing memories :rolleyes:. In case you missed it, the sum total of my experience with SRC's in Puget Sound is one trip as a kid almost 35 years ago. Even though I only caught 2 cutts that day, - man were they doozies! The weird thing was, I wasn't even fishing for them. I was harrassing some big perch with worms dug out of barnacle clusters scraped off the pilings. Those pile worms were a very similar looking polychaete, and possibly the same species as you posted.

Anyway the big perch were driving me nuts because they were so picky and I could see them inspecting my gear. When I was digging through my tackle box, I inadvertantly let my line drift down tide from the dock when my bait was hammered by a 19" cutt near the surface. On my next cast I let it drift on purpose and this time a 21" cutt took it. Granted this was about 35 years ago, but judging from my Uncle's reaction when I brought the dingy back (I was visiting family on Bainbridge) I'm pretty sure they were considered monster cutts even back then. So either I got really lucky, or big cutts have a habit of hanging in deep water (20'+) downtide from docks where they can gobble polychaete worms, - possibly broken loose from pile perch feeding activity.

So based on my limited experience I'd say YES, not only are they a food source, they are a CHOICE food source.
  10. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

Yes they do have crazy mouths, like some kind of alien! :eek: If you ever have the chance, pick one up and watch it's mouth come flying out of its head! I find them all the time while digging for littlenecks.
  11. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Are these a food sourse?

i grew up fishing for stripers in massachusetts. personally, i never used a sandworm imitation. they aren't any huge secret over there... i think everyone knows what they are who hangs out in estuaries, etc...

oh ya. don't pick one up. those big guys are pretty gnarly. they bite something fierce!
  12. alampe New Member

edison nj
    Are these a food sourse?

I have fished a worm pattern on the East coast for stripers that I made from chamois that you use for drying a car. It worked reasonably well but you have to soak it before you use it.
  13. david.schepers skeeps

weastern, wa
    Are these a food sourse?

Back in the day we used to dig these worms up and the fish would eat them up like candy, called them a more spacific name though? Dont know of any spacific pattern for them though. Best of luck
    Skeeps
  14. Philster New Member

Are these a food sourse?

Buy some vernille. Singe the end. tie on a short clump of chartreuse marabou. Tie to a hook with a heavy bead on it. Dub over the tie in section.
  15. flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

Monroe,WA
    yeah i red a article about it in northwest flyfisher in the flytying section. it said it was a piling worm or something and that the SRC's around here love them. i would look on the magazines web site to find it.
  16. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    san jaun worm on steroids would work no?