Are these pics yours?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, Apr 18, 2011.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Seems we have another guide service that "borrows" pictures from other web sites. Take a look at the fish pictures shown on the site below and see if any are yours. I have been told several were "borrowed" from other sites, cropped to remove any faces or identifiers. Look closely and see if your fish pics were "borrowed". I am sure just like the other guide service that "borrowed" fish pictures it is all a simple mistake.

http://www.somersoutdoors.com/pictures

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

damn! that's F'd up!

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Yeah, word is getting out about this dirtbag. Just did a writeup with some pic examples: http://www.stopeatingwildsteelhead.com/2011/04/18/guide-accountability/

Hopefully the guide outfits that he's ripping off prevail in getting this guy in the trouble he deserves. The issues go beyond just the picture stealing... But best not air all the dirty laundry in public. Let's just say that in my opinion, this guy doesn't deserve to be sharing, let alone profiting off this resource.

4. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I worked for a company many years ago that was involved in the same thing. I had seen pictures of my own work through another shop, in his picture catalog. I felt very ashamed to have landed with such an outfit. Furthermore, when someone crosses that line = other forms of down and dirty cheating will rise to the surface. This is just not right! UNLESS permission has been granted. And I find that hard to believe, but anything is possible?

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

just saw the on the SEWS blog. lame.

these photographers should have ground for taking legal action (at the least cease and desist, and the extreme end a lawsuit)

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

YO\ou wrote "I have been told several were "borrowed" from other sites, cropped to remove any faces or identifiers."

Is this confirmed, or hearsay? No disresepct, Kerry, but it's tough for me to pass judgement on the dude based on "I have been told . . . "

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

It's not hearsay. Several pics that are on his site were "borrowed" from other guide outfits.

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

He has been served cease and desist orders from some of those whose pics were "borrowed." There is more that is going on, but due to the issue of things like what you just posted, other such things are not going public at the moment.

11. Methow

Methow Active Member

Kerry and Evan have been very tactful in releasing this information. What they have reported can be checked be anyone. Point is photos and other things were taken and used without permission.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Good answer(s). Let those 'harmed' do their thing (and rightfully so). But as I said, 'If you don't have a dog in this fight ....' you have nothing to win, and worst case, something to loose? 'Anger' has no cash value in Court.

fae

13. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

What a tool, hope he gets in some shit over this- Good job on the exposure Kerry/Evan

14. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

What a good example on Evan's part.

But hey Evan, not trying to start anything, but could you get in trouble for posting the original picture of that angler on the blog?

Just a thought.

Loren

15. smc

smc Active Member

Evan's use falls under "Fair Use" whereas the guide photo poacher is stealing to make money.

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I have the permission of the owner of the picture

17. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Good work on all counts Evan- Rock on doode-

18. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Kerry would never be successfully sued for libel. This isn't England.

19. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

I was out with some guys this weekend and one tells a story of fishing a remote Tongass lake when a float plane arrives out of nowhere. Out steps a guide and four Asian fishermen. The guide hooks up with a beautiful fish then proceeds to pass in to each of his clients for a "photo opportunity". They then get back in the plane and leave, mission accomplished.

20. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

Ok good