Are you ready to catch some bass?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Big E, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Temps are climbing, bass are moving to the shallows....Are you ready??

I just have to get the toon together and wait for my rod to come.

But my box is ready:

[​IMG]

2. guitarfisher

guitarfisher Jeff W.

I'm ready! I may go target some smallies tomorrow...

3. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    Nice looking hair bugs Big_E. I have a few weeks before I can get out and hunt for some smallies. In the meantime, I am restocking my fly box with Clousers. Once I am done with them, I will probably tie up a few dozen SimiSeal leeches. I also have a hand full of baitfish patterns I want to try this spring. I am still trying to get the coloring right on my pikeminnow imitation.

Guitar fisher, let us know how you do if you make it out tomorrow. If I can not fish myself, I can at least enjoy the experience of others.

Shawn

4. Big E

Media:
    This will be my first year for bass so I'm not really sure what is going to work. The box I did up has a bit of everything for both LMB and SMB. How do you find the clousers work? Currently I'm working on tying up some Slumpbusters.

5. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Haven't seriously chased bass since I moved here 10 years ago. Ima gonna doit this year. Anyone try lake washington on the fly? I figure staying in tight in a watermaster would be safe from high speed vessels.

6. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    The Clousers and leeches are my two primary go to flies. This year I am trying a variety of colors. You can not go wrong with White/Chartreuse Clousers. I prefer black for my leeches. I like to use a material called Polar Fibre for my Clousers. I fish them with a short, short, long strip. They usually hit the fly on the pause.

Shawn

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Be a couple more weeks in the TriCities. Black deep & any Clouser in black over silver is a ticket to the "Front Row" . . . Salmon are slammin', Steel is real, but green is mean (and more readily available & MOST accommodating!

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    You still don't have that pontoon together? I know you've been busy. That is a nice looking box. You tie awesome flies.

9. Big E

Media:
    I took off the pontoons last winter when I stored it. Just have to strap them back on.

Yeah it's been busy this winter with overtime, school, and being sick. Always behind the power curve. I'm definately making it a point to get out more this year.

Thanks for the compliments on the flies, I've been tying a lot this winter.

10. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    Anyone been out and taken any temps on the smaller westside lakes?

I'm getting the itch to chase some smallies.

11. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    We need some warm weather !! I went out the other day and saw only one fish cruising. We are a warm spell away !!

12. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    Thank you.

13. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

I'm looking at getting in to the bass game this year, and looking to pick up a rod for it and hopefully be able to use it for larger trout flies as well. What are you all using? 7-weight? 8-weight? Anyone using a switch rod at all?

14. Big E

Media:
    I'm going to be starting the year with my 5wt since my friggin order got messed up for my 7wt. Some of the flies I've tied would be pretty difficult to toss with a 5wt. Fly size and what kind and size of fish, as well as the conditions (logs, weeds, lilly pads, etc) were my main justifications as to why I have to have another fly rod. I also tossed in the fact that a 7wt would do double duty in case I ever went for large fish.

Better get in the game quick, it will start picking up real fast once the water temps start getting closer to 50s.

15. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    My primary bass rod is a 5wt. Most of the cover I have been fishing is boulders. I usually break out the 8wt when throwing large hair bugs. I have also fished a lot with my 2wt. I can't cast my Clousers very far, but then again, the fish do not seem to care. Fish with what you can. You may need to throw smaller patterns with the lighter rods. Good luck!

Shawn

16. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    For the Columbia River, my rod of choice is my Fenwick FF857 with a shooting head on it. THat rod will throw any line from a 6wt to an 8wt really well (I prefer it with a 7), I've also managed just fine with a 5/6wt for most fish although down on the Umpqua, I ran into a few that had me wishing for something a little beefier. I can't really speak for the LMB since I really only target SMBs.

17. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    WOW did you really tie all of those!?!?!?!?!

NICE JOB!
    So will one of those big cone headed streamers do the trick opn some lake bass?

18. quadradomus

quadradomus Member

As far as fishing lake WA. from a float tube, I want to point you to an area that is great during the spawn, and easily handled in a float tube. I am totally spacing out though on the name of the area. It is located on the Eastern edge of the East channel. This would be due East from the Mercer Island launch. There is also a public boat launch about a 5 minute "Tube Kick " from this fishing location. Basicly it is a area of water that looks like the canals of Venice. It is sort of a street that is cut out through the water, lined with beautiful homes on each side. The width of a typical asphalt street, but it's water. It goes for a block, then turns and goes down another, "Water--street/canal" and turns again. Shallow enough to fish by fly, for sure. I don't recall any lilly pad fields, but it is lined with moored boats, just like cars on a street. Overhanging boat covers, which fish hide under. Anyway, it's totally comfortable for a tube.

19. guitarfisher

guitarfisher Jeff W.

Hey Quad - nice to hear from you over on this site ;)

The area you describe sounds like Newport, adjacent to Newcastle Beach Park, just south of the I-90 East Channel Bridge.

20. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    I am so ready. It seems a bit early. I usually expect the smallies to get active in early to mid May when the wter temp hits about 53 degrees.