area 10 hooknose

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by guest, Oct 14, 2001.

1. guest

guest Guest

has anybody been fishin for silvers the past week in area 10 if not your missing easy limits on hooknose makin there way south. 6lb small fish. fish migration routes its been better this week than the last 3 weeks comin from a friend i know who hits it everyday. i fished it this weekend and seen lots of 8-13lb fish in the southworth manchester area. at least one fish a day at southworth ferry terminal with lots of hits and misses. hope to see another fly flicker there one of these days. have to fish with the same couple gear chuckers. later Ben

2. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Ben,
    I've seen a couple of your posts on the Southworth area and I'm curious. Being from the other side of the sound, I only make it out to the west side once or twice a year- usually to Hansville area. What is access like at at Southworth? is it best on incoming or outgoing tide? Is it the best spot in the immediate area? Given the choice, would you hit Pt No Pt or Southworth? I would be wading from shore and usually bring my spinning and my fly outfits. Tides look good for this week!

Chris W

3. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

Sounds fun. Do you fish north or south of the Ferry Dock? Do you ever go out on the point due south of the dock?

4. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Are you still using baitfish imitations, clousers and whatnot, or have you switched to attractors? Do you think it will hold up till this weekend?

If you think it will be worth it, I may try to get over on Fri morn, taking the ferry from Fauntleroy. Are you willing to give some basic directions from the ferry terminal?

5. Gizler

Gizler New Member

I have hit the beach at Southworth four or five times in the past couple of weeks and haven't seen any flycasters either. What time of day are you fishing? Since I live close to the Fauntleroy ferry dock, I have been fishing the evevnings after work whenever possible but have yet to hook a fish there. However, I have had some success on Vashon for both silvers and SRC's.

6. guest

guest Guest

dont even bother going to southworth ferry terminal, i counted 5 net boats in the area where all the fish are at and did not get a bite. it was fun while it lasted thou, i cant believe they can net like this in pugetsound. Ben

7. guest

guest Guest

beadhead i think i have had most luck when it is low slack and the start of the incoming tide change at the point. high tide the left side of the ferrydock is good ,northside, hard to fling a fly withoutcrap behind yeah to snag on to you thou.i personally think the southworth area is the best in the port orchard area for returning fish but point no point and the areas around it such as eglon, and foulweather bluff just to name a few can be great and are my personal favorite places to fish. i went there last weekend with a buddy and the silver fishin was real pour, we caught one a piece, but caught chums there on the eel grass flats between pilot point and point no point on marabou jigs. ray thanks for the sculphin pattern im going to go get all the materials for it and give a get go. i caught those fish on the always there green and white clouser. later ben

8. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

I was at Pt no pt Tues and it was slow for Silvers...saw only a few caught, tons of bait in the water though. I heard reports that Monday was the day...most people left w/ their limit after 1-2 hours! Gotta feel that the run is winding down in the salt though - esp. w/ all the rain. Glad I didn't head to Southworth with all the gill netters in the area.

Is there public access near foulweather bluff?- I've always assumed it was all private, but I'm not from the area.

Q.- do you think chums are feeding the way coho do? Does one look for bait in the water? I never hear of the buzz bomb crew (which sometimes includes me) catching many chums. Just wondering if the Eglon area is a better bet for stacking chums.

Chris

9. guest

guest Guest

yeah there is access. if you dont knpw where it is just drive down the road all the way the hansville highway till you come to a dead end at the water. walk to your right to the point there its kind of a walk not to far thou. i have not caught as many on a fly as point no point because fish are naturally feeding close to shore at point no point, i figured that out watching people catch fish from shore and not get a bite in my boat. but it is way less crowded but i have had better luck throwing a buzzbomb there just to get out to deeper water. chums like slow moving baits such as green steelhead jigs under a bobber and 3-4 inches of cut plug herring with a 3/0 hook thru the top, i caught some a couple weeks ago and there is a article in the fishing and hunting news about catching chums around eglon. the first point due south of point no point is pilot point and that is basiclly eglon. the shore line between those to spots is the best place around for stacking chums. try a bobber and herring and let it drift. there is no wrong way with that for chums.belive me on that, later Ben

10. guest

guest Guest

oh yeah, Beadhead was there alot of blackmouth caught,good numbers or any size to them. thanks Ben

11. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

No Blackmouth that I saw, it's usually a pretty random event from my experience. I often wonder when I see someone dragging a fish up the beach before properly ID'ing it... I did see someone pull up a husky fish and had everyone around him tell him it was chinook and that he had to turn it back, when i came over and saw it clearly had white gums I told him that it was his (Coho) if he wanted it. He promptly left (with the fish) so he probably did not trust my taxonomy powers too much. I would like to see more people releasing wild coho there as it is required in other areas.
    Looking foward to the chums, do you look for moving water like you do for coho? Also do you try to get your fly (or bobber/yarn for spin casting) on the bottom or will they rise to more of a surface presentation? I'm think gonna try and hit eglon at least once while the chums are in...

Chris

12. guest

guest Guest

im not sure if they like moving water such as point no point but i have caught them in tide rips before so who knows. i've never caught anything off yarn in hansville before.jigs and herring under a bobber 4-5 ft in about 10-15 feet of water thats where i catch them on purpose most of the time. later Ben